Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700RB + 1 or 2 Aguilar GS112 Observation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by marklinca, Mar 9, 2004.

1. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I have a new GK 700RB (Series 1, 380w @ 4 ohms, 230w @ 8 ohms) and two fresh Aggie GS112s. The G-K just came from the shop after being DOA when new - a simple internal fuse swap fixed it - and it checked out fine on the bench.

I spent a fair amount of time dialing in a tone with both cabs hooked up to the amp through 1/4" 16 ga cables. I got a good tone, but was less than impressed with the volume (volume at 12 o'clock, boost 1, master 3, woofer high cut engaged, treble 11, mids 1, bass 2, contour "off", presence 9 - my Am Dlx J was set flat except a little bass boost).

When I unhooked one cab, the sound was altogether different - MUCH deeper sounding and it almost seemed louder as a result. This was with the master dialed back to 1.

I tried each cab independently, and also swapped speaker cables to ensure everything was "consistent", and it was.

My conclusion is that 230w starts to make the Aggie sing, while 190w just doesn't get you there, even X 2. But it is counter-intuitive that a 40w difference seems to be huge in terms of the bottom of the GS112. I have heard people who drive a GS112 with a Clarus (120w @ 8 ohms?) and report that it rocks.

Does anyone have this same rig, or have a similar experience with one versus two GS112 cabs? Do I simply need more power to benefit from the two GS112 stack, or could my 700RB have some sort of issue?

Any advice or experience to share would be much appreciated.

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    If your two cabs are out of phase (i.e. the leads are switched on the speakers) they will be effecively canceling each other out when both are hooked up. It should be fairly simple to take off the back plate that has the crossover and check to make sure the speakers are hooked up the same way.

3. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    Thanks, I'll check it out. The phase cancellation possibility makes a lot of sense.

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    While you are checking the Aggies for a switched wire, check your speaker cable as well. If one were switched (tip to ring), the same out of phase condition would exist.

Good luck.

5. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Something's not right, maybe out of phase like folks said.

I have a GK700 and it is able to push an Epifani or Bergantino 112 OK, have to crank it pretty high, though. But it has no trouble with a pair of 112s, sounds much better and louder driving the 4 ohm load.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Sounds like a phase problem. Check your cables as well as the cab wiring.

Beyond that, you'll get a lot more volume with the boost up close to noon. The manual suggests starting with gain, boost and master all up to noon. That's probably a better setting than having your master up to 3 o'clock.

7. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    The setting levels I mentioned were all in "o'clocks", so volume and boost are already at noon or past. The master at 3 o'clock was required to get a reasonable volume with two cabs.

I did check the both cables last night and they checked out fine - striped side to tip on all four ends.

Tonight I hope to get a chance to look inside the cabs.

Thanks.

8. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    here is how to do the phase test. hook up your 1/4 cable to the cab. take a 9v batter and touch the positive to the tip of the cable and the negative to the other metal part of the plug (behind the plastic ring) and see what way the speaker moves. hook up the battery and cable to the OTHER cab and with the same + - connection and the speaker SHOULD move the same direction (in or out). if the cabs are out of phase one will move in and the other cab will move out. then the leads going to the woofer should be reversed on ONE of the woofers of ONE cab.

9. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    BINGO! Thanks Mcrelly!

The brand new, consecutive serial number cabs are wired out of phase.

Aguilar tech support has not responded to my e-mail (in 48 hours) - so I e-mailed again with the news and will wait for instructions. I could swap one woofer set of leads, but don't want to risk voiding my warranty. Hopefully I won't have to ship them all the way back across the country, and back. I am not sure if they have a service center, or will let me fix them myself.

So needless to say I am less than impressed with Aguilar quality control. They have built a ton of these - and in January 2004 they are still building some wrong?

Thanks again. For now, I use only one!

10. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    good luck mark. don't be too harsh on aguilar, you'll love the sound of two when they are in phase! actually this is the first aguilar complaint I've heard as far as technical problems unlike some other bass speaker manufacturers ;)

11. marklinca

marklinca

Nov 11, 2003
    So Cal
    I got a response from Aguilar, with some steps to isolate the problem. The crossover wiring was fine - the problem was reversed wires at the woofer itself. The leads were not soldered, so the swap was reasonably simple. Toughest part was removing a snug wire tie (lashing leads to the speaker frame near the speaker terminals) without nicking the wires.

Now the little stack performs like I imagined it would... quite impressive given its small stature. The design/construction on these cabs is pretty impressive.

12. Yeah. I had that problem too with my Aggies, but 5 minutes with a screwdriver fixed that. Just like in some cheesy sci-fi show... 'reverse polarities!'