1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk 700rb-11

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bk913, Jun 16, 2007.

1. bk913

bk913

Jun 10, 2007
    the rmc deal is too good to pass up.
    the big question now is.. what cab below it?
    matching gk 210, or for a little less $$$
    the avatar neo 212?

i realize that with the gk i could take full advantage of the head, but from reading most of the reviews here, it's not such a big deal.

any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. dogbass

dogbass Supporting Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    My main rig has been a 700RB head with the 115RBH cab and its nice to be able to dial up the horn from the front of the amp. That being said, I have also run this with a Son of Bertha cabinet and I like it just fine ! I personally don't fiddle much with the horn/tweeter while playing. IMO regardless of whether you get the GK cab, you'll love the head and there's alot of tonal flexibility with whatever cab you choose. :)

3. bk913

bk913

Jun 10, 2007
    thanks dogbass.
    anyone else here have any thoughts on the gk bi-amp feature?

4. I've never used it on mine either. I have mainly used 15"s with it and the 800Rb I had before it but am just about to order a Schroeder 1212L for it.

i don't feel that I have missed anything by not going for a GK cab as I have always had a good sound from it

5. bk913

bk913

Jun 10, 2007
    much obliged, delb.

6. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I used to use a GK Neo112 and utilized the bi-amp feature on my 1001RB-II for a short while. I found I liked the lower cross-over point by switching to the internal passive cross-over in the cabinet itself. I think the 5K frequency of the tweeter amp in the gK heads is a tad too high. 2.5 or 3K or even 4K lets the horn do more of what it should be doing in my opinion. I sold my GK cab in favor of using others such as Aguilar and Bergantino. Personally I find the bi-amp feature to be a "no factor" .

7. Paulitics

Paulitics

Apr 12, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    It should also be mentioned that rewiring a cab for bi-amping is generally considered to be a simple mod (assuming the cab has a speakon jack).

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I would get the Avatar over any GK cab (RBH series aside).

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021