GK 700RB/115 for $300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    A friend of a friend is offering me a GK 700RB/115 for $300 and I checked the retail price and it goes for $1100! I've played on it and it sounds great. All the controls work exceptionally well. I went to my local guitar center and even tried out the 700RB/112 (same amp with 12" speaker) and I could tell little difference between the amp (besides bigger sound on the 700RB/115)
    Anything I should check for because i don't want to get ripped off.
    This amp has such warm lows and highs. I hear Galien-Kreuger make kickass amps so I want to buy this.
  2. Keentwist

Mar 22, 2004
    If everything is in good order I would jump on this deal ASAP!
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    $300? A steal! and a no-brainer.
    Even if there are problems with it, its cheaper to fix it

If its the 700RB-I, then there might be some soldering problems with it (the series made at that time have week soldering), but simply by retouching the solderings they can be healed. I have a GK that had some problems, but after simply retouching the solders, it works better than ever
  4. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Ok, I'm probably gonna talk to the guy tomorrow. How loud will this thing get? I only got up to about half volume before the police came :D
    I was thinking about stacking this amp on top of a GK cab. What cabs can this head handle? Anyone know?
  5. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Should handle another 8 ohm cabinet, maybe like a 2x10 or another 1x15. 700's are loud as all getout. Even the 400 pushes some serious volume. Jump on that deal.
  6. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    The manual says it can handle 2 380watt cabinets at 8ohm, so I'm thinking about getting 2 of these
  7. jazzyb

Feb 7, 2004
    norfolk england
    I have this combo and absolutely love it!
    Just picked up a used Trace 2x10+horn cab to extract full power when needed, Sounds brilliant. GK is a great amp at any price.
  8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You should jump on that one ...
  9. It will do a 4 ohm load. You have to remember that the internal speaker is an 8 ohm load already so you can do one additional 8 ohm cabinet.