1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 700RB - Any reason to keep it ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dark Horse, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Ditch the 700RB and go cheap since you don't use it anyway !

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. Keep the 700RB - it's a good amp, and you don't want the hassle of selling/replacing it !

20 vote(s)
    74.1%
  3. Call the "Wonder Pets" to help you.

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've got a GK 700RB just sitting here. It's supposed to be a backup for my tube head, but I never use it. I'm considering getting rid of it and maybe picking up a cheaper head as a backup. Still, the 700RB is a darn good sounding "all around" head, and is super reliable. I'm not sure what I'd pick up as a replacement (maybe a used 400RB), I'm just kind of toying with the idea. Besides, I could probably use the extra few $$$.

Thoughts ? Suggestions ?

144082934_b633f79603.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Intergalactic Mind Space CA
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest you keep it. I mean, just because my computer's hard disk hasn't crashed doesn't mean I stop backing up my data. You never know.

3. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    No real reason to keep it, just send it to me.

Really, keep it. Tube amps fail for many more reasons than SS stuff. Not to say it's unreliable, but minor stuff like tubes crapping out, bias going out of whack, fuses blowing, can mean hell come gig day if you don't have a backup. And they are sometimes more fragile.

With SS, once it does bad, it goes bad and the magical smoke usually makes an appearance. There's just less "trivial" stuff that can go wrong. You should have a backup nonetheless.

4. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Well, like I said in the OP, if I get rid of it I would still replace it with a backup - just with something less expensive, like a 400RB.

5. IMO keep it, but in these times if you could keep a few bucks by selling and down-grading, who can beat you up for it?

6. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That's kind of where I'm at. Yeah, it would only save about $100, but still, $100 saved can be a very good thing these days.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's a classic. I'd keep it.

8. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    Also, I have a 400RB as my gigging head and it kicks. So you wouldn't be downgrading as much as exchanging a classic for an even classicier (new word!) amp. It "hits the rails" and has that buttery, warm, boost tone at a lower volume, wich can even be an advantage.

It's also loud enough for anything I throw at it.

9. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    :D

I've owned 800RBs, 700RBs, 400RBs, and all of them sounded really good. The thing I like is that you can walk into any given room and set it flat and you'll have at least a very good tone. They're easy to tweak, and hard to make sound bad. That's one of the big reasons why I wouldn't have an issue going with the 400RB instead.

Of course I am also tempted to spend a small amount more and get that little Phil Jones D-200 (?) as a backup - that thing is tiny, and sounded pretty good when I tried it out. But that would cost me money. :(

10. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Wonder Pets are starting to gain momentum !

11. Mesa

Mesa

Mar 20, 2008
    Holly Springs NC
    "What's gonna work?"

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

"TEAMWORK!"

13. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member