Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700rb combo questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Murf, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi guys,
    I've recently started using the GK 700rb 2x10 combo and I'm very impressed with it, I use it as a backline as I'm always di'ed wherein lies my problem. I generally leave my amp di settings to pre-eq (less mucking about sound wise and I happen to like the raw sound) but does this mean I cant use any effects? ie if I have a few pedals connected to the patch bay/fx loop the effects work locally (through the amp) but dont seem to di to our main rig (which kinda defeats the purpose), they work fine post eq but as I said I'd like to get them working in the pre-eq state (being a complete luddite when it comes to amps maybe its supposed to do this?).

Secondly what does contour and presence do?

and finally, due to the "unique" design of the combo (the scooped back) it occurs to me if I ever buy a seperate cab how do I stack the combo?

cheers.

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Bumpity bump

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Use the pedals in series with your bass.

Bass ---> Pedals ---> Input

Problem solved.:bassist:

4. hibeam

hibeam

Oct 16, 2002
    USA
    I got a GK head, so:

Contour scoops out the mids as you crack it up.

Presence, as described by the manual, "adds articulation to the high end" or something to that effect. I find that adding a touch of presence does add definition to the high end, probably by boosting higher frequencies.

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I stack my GK 700RB/210 combo on my Bag End cabinets which are shallow. No problems at all. Most of the weight of the GK is towards the front of the combo.

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Thanks for the replys guys.

But does this not "color" the bass signal? (ie suck the tone out of your dry sound) In other words why have fx loops/patch bays at all then.

I'm curious about this myself.

cheers

7. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    cool, as regards cabs is it true that you 'll only be able to utilise the bi-amp feature if you're using gk cabs? or does it work on all models.

cheers

8. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    It's a matter of wiring. If the enclosed tweeter has the appropriate specs, then any cab can be rewired to accept the bi-amp signal from your head.

9. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Shouldn't.

10. griff1676

griff1676

Jul 17, 2003
    Dekalb, Il
    The effects loop makes the signal going to the effect a constant voltage. This keeps the effect from "sucking your tone." This keeps the voltage level the same all the way through the processing section. Basically, it's a different way to run the effects. Also, some effects sound better in front of the preamp, and some sound better after the pre but before the power amp. The loop is there for flexibilty.

11. mobax

mobax Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2002
    New Baltimore, MI
    This is from the GK website:

New Bi-Amp Compatability:

You can make any cabinet that has a horn/tweeter compatible with the 700RB/1001RB/2001RB bi-amp feature. First you have to make sure that the horn has at least a 50W power handling rating, then you'll have to modify the input plate on the cabinet to accept either a 4-conductor Speakon-type socket or two 1/4" jacks. In either case, you'll have to disconnect the horn and wire it separately to either a 4-pole Speakon-type socket, utilizing the 2+ and 2- pins or a 1/4" jack, with the tip the (+) lead and the sleeve the (-) lead. Of course, if you decide to use 1/4" jacks, you'll have to modify your Speakon-type cable for 1/4" plugs as well. Also when using the Speakon-type socket, the woofer's main (+) and (-) leads should connect to the (1+) and (1-) of the Speakon-type connector terminals.

If your cabinet already has a Speakon-type connector, check with the manufacturer to see how it's wired before you hook it up to our heads with our Speakon-type style cable. Some manufacturer's Speakon connectors are wired differently than GK's, where they have pin (2+) directly connected to the (1-) pin. This "Short" must be removed, or you will damage the amplifier.

12. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    you know, this actually makes sense to me :eek:

excellent

thanks for the help guys.