1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 700RB DI Level

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassartist, Jan 20, 2018.

1. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Trying to get the optimal level from the DI to the FOH board. I'm running a Pre DI signal to the house. But I'm confused about setting to unity gain on the amp. According to the manual, "the output is calibrated for 1.0V (0 dBV) output and can be adjusted to unity gain (instrument level) by adjusting the Level control to -15dB (U)." When I set it at unity gain (12 o'clock/-15dB) the signal is present but not nearly as powerful as setting the level all the way to the right (0 dB). This is the sound that I like the best. But will this be too much for the input stage on the FOH board? I need the bass to cut through two keyboards, organ, drums and guitar. It gets buried in the mix. But today in rehearsal when I dialed the DI all the way to 0 dB it sounded great. We record the services so I don't want to overdrive the signal to the board. What are your thought or experience?

2. Feed the FOH mixer what the FOH mixer wants.
    Do you have a sound guy who can help with that?

If your signal feeding the FOH is too hot, you won't be able to turn the mixer down enough.
    If it's too low, you won't get enough signal with your mixer channel all the way up.

You need to feed whatever level is correct for the mixer and that will allow some adjustment room without getting too close to either end of the channels range.

It's pointless for someone to tell you where to set a level if they don't know what you are sending it too.

bassartist and Al Kraft like this.
  3. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    ^pretty much. I used to tell every sound guy... I'll start the signal at 12o'clock, let me know what you need. They generally ran a 50/50 or 60/40 mix of DI and Mic.

It's their job to get the mix just right for everyone. It shouldn't be up to you to decide what needs to cut through or sit back in the mix. A competent soundguy will ask the critical questions, and a really good sound guy can listen to what's going on with amp tones on stage and try to reproduce that.

bassartist and Al Kraft like this.
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I usually start with the DI output pretty high (75-100%) and ask if they want it attenuated at my end, or if they like what I'm sending and will deal with it at their end. IME sound techs usually prefer as robust a signal level as I can send and will pad/dial it down as necessary.

5. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I've never ran mine above 10 o'clock, without any issues or complaints. I'll try a noon setting next time and see if it helps, or hurts. Good thread!

bassartist likes this.
  6. I'm not a sound guy as all the other "sound guys" so fondly remind me.
    But there are occasions when I have to set up a mixer and then turn it over to a student to run the board who's never done sound before.
    On a rotary knob style mixer, I usually set the knobs to about 2 O'Clock and mark that point.
    On a linear fader, they usually have a zero point, roughly 3/4 of the way up and I set the fader there.
    Then I adjust the input sources that can be adjusted, to achieve a nominal 0VU on the meters.
    That usually provides a good, usable range of operation.

For students doing Mixer 101, this usually gets them by because they can always go back to the mark.
    Second semester is about using the meters and knowing that not everything has to sit at 0 all the time.
    That is followed up with mixing by ear with the meters.
    Finally, I cover the meters for all but the initial setup.:nailbiting:

Wax on, wax off.;)

bassartist likes this.
  7. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Volunteers on the board without audio experience. If I set the board where it needs to in rehearsal, they change on Sunday morning during service and its sucks all the signal out.

8. bassartist

bassartist

Apr 26, 2005
    Great info. I usually try to do the same with the initial setup in rehearsal and have it sounding really well. Then on Sunday morning during service they take everything down to where the musicians are constantly complaining. Even though we are on floor monitors, they still have trouble getting a good mix between the house and monitors.