1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700RB, Fender cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassfella06, Mar 17, 2008.

1. I've got some Bassman cabs. A 410h rated at 300W cont and 600 pk. and a 115 rated at 150W cont. and 300 pk.

The 700RB is 480W..Wondered how close to 12 o'clock I can get on the master w/o worrying about blowing up the 15...How much power are each of these cabs getting when they're both hooked up?

2. Warfrat73

Warfrat73

Nov 18, 2007
    Milwaukee
    Well, if it's a 700RB (as opposed to a 700RB II) then it's 380w, but either way you should really let your ears be the judge. If it starts breaking up then throttle back.

3. Thanks. Yeah, Its the 700 RB II..480 W.

I guess my concern is NOT hearing it break up in a live setting (amongst the cymbal wash.) and having it blow.

I'm assuming that at less than noon on the master,I'm splitting the 240 watts or so 2 ways. correct?

4. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Remember that amp pots are not linear in design. That means that 12:00 is not necessarily 50%. I own a 700rbII and since both your cabs will be getting equal power, I would say 12:00 would make a short life of your 15", depending on your eq of course. Gk rbII heads are underrated I believe. You can see what I run and at 11:00, I can fill a med. sized dance venue w/ 300 people. A quite healthy volume.

5. Can you guys tell me how high you run the boost and master volumes? I have run them pegged with the pre at 9:00 and that was as much as my avatar neo 410 could take. Nowadays I run the pre volume at 11:00 and the boost and master at noonish. Similar volume but a much less harsh sound.

6. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    You can run the master at 12:00 without any problems..... you can even run the boost up to about 2:00. The key is how much you turn up the pre-amp gain (the volume knob). If you keep that relatively low, then you should be fine. And in all reality, that is how you should run the GK heads anyway (read the manual). If you start cranking up the volume knob, then you start distorting the preamp, and things get very brittle.

On my 700RBII, the volume stays right around 8 - 9:00. But the master stays at 12:00, and the boost at 2:00. At this level, I don't think your speakers would have much of a problem.

If I need more volume, then I back down the boost, and push up the master (this, to my ear, keeps the "growl" consistant).

Test it all out prior to playing a gig, that way you know how much you can push without breaking up the speakers.

Now, with all of that said, you would probably be better off running the 400rb. It would allow you to get the power up to good "growl" levels, yet not destroy your speakers.

Ljazz