1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700RB-II/1001 RB-II - - help me choose

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassIsFun17, Oct 3, 2008.

1. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    hey everyone,

yesterday evening i went to my local Guitar Center, and played through both the GK 700 and 1001RB-II, running into a GLX410 - 8ohms. They both sounded great. They had all of the amps going through some weird amp/cab selector. I imagine since i was playing through and 8 ohm cabinet, both the amps were only running at 8 ohms.

my main problem is now deciding which head i should get. the 1001RB-II at 8 ohms (480 watts) seems like it would be plenty loud for my needs. (metal band, rock band, and jazz/hip hop band.)

my debate now is, would it be better to just get the 700RB-II and run it into a 4ohm 4x10, meaning id always play through 480 watts, or get the 1001RB-II and run it through an 8 ohm 4x10, leaving me the option to expand to a more powerful 4 ohm cabinet in the future.
    I honestly cant see myself needing the 700 watts for now. but since i like to think far into the future, i like to know that id be safe to expand if i wanted.

please help me out, and feel free to give your 2 cents about other options.

thanks!

2. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    I wouldn't worry so much about the wattage values and ohms. The 1001 doesnt cost a lot more so if you can afford it, definitely go with the 1001.

3. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    Remember that if you use a 4ohm cab you can't add another cab without dropping below the minimum load rating for both of those heads. R recommend the 1001RB with an 8ohm cab, especially to be looking to expand in the future. Honestly though, you can't go wrong with either head.

4. brachal

brachal

Jan 7, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    Get the 1001 with an 8ohm cabinet if you can afford it. If you ever need more volume, it'll be easy to add.

5. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    so if i got the 1001 with an 8 ohm cab i would be pretty set? if i wanted to expand later, i can just another 8 ohm cab to the stack? if i did that would that mean it'd be more like having 960 watts?

6. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    yes, its as easy as adding another 8ohm cab, but it wont be 960 watts. The boost in volume comes from a second speaker moving more air. Someone else can go into the technical details if you like.

7. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    ok i think i understand
    will adding another 8 ohm cab be as loud as using the 700 watts from a 4 ohm cab?

8. bass4me

bass4me Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2007
    North AL
    go for the 1001, either are good though

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    more speakers will generally sound louder than fewer speakers at the same wattage. i would recommend getting 8 ohm speaker cabs in either case. i don't think that GK makes that many 4 ohm cabs anyway (if you were planning on the all-GK rig) the 1001RB is only like $150 more so if you have the scratch, go for that one. although the 700 is a little growlier at lower volumes. so you could get a little less power but a nicer/more cabs with the 700.

i've never felt a lack of volume with my rig. it's way more than i've ever needed TBH.
    both great heads, though. if you like the GK sound, i think you'll be happy either way.

10. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
  11. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    It will seem louder when using 2 cabs @ 8 ohms each than 1 cab @ 4 ohms and that goes for any amp. More speakers move more air. They won't be drawing more power from the amp itself, but the additional cab will definitely seem louder.

12. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Suggestion - buy your GK gear from RMC Audio or get a quote from them and have Guitar Center price match.

http://www.rmcaudio.com/

13. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    so i think it will be a safe choice to get the 1001 and an 8 ohm cab then.
    what cabs do you suggest? i really dug the sound with the GLX410. any input on those cabs?

14. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    They will match the price but then add tax on top.

15. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    thanks for your help guys.
    i think im going to go with the GLX410 cab, i really liked the sound. and who can beat the price of it? then maybe in the future ill get a GLX15 to add to the stack.

16. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

True. Personally, I wouldn't consider buying it from Guitar Center, but the OP mentioned them, so I threw it out there.