Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700RB-II/1001RB-II Owners...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirty Dave, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Just took delivery of my GK 700RB-II w/210SBX/115SBX cabinets.

Upon hooking it up I notice two things that I am immediately concerned
    about:

1. Loud buzzing noise coming from the amp. Seems to have something to do
    with my bass (2004 Carvin LB70) because the intensity of the buzzing seems
    to fluctuate as I move around. It's seems loudest and almost untolerable
    when I'm standing near the rig trying to make adjustments. I tried the
    ground lift, no dice. Is this common? Is there something wrong with the amp?
    I never had this problem with my other rig.

2. The fan does not start upon power up. I know it's a variable speed fan,
    but shouldn't it start right away when the amp is turned on? I didn't have a
    chance to keep the amp on long enough to see if it would eventually start?
    Is this normal? Does the fan eventually come on when the amp reaches a
    certain temperature or does the 700RB-II need to be returned?

2. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    2. I think so. Remember that the elec. in these amps mean to conserve energy and use it the best when it's needed.

I can't help on the other thing.Wait for the others...

3. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi all,

i owned its elder brother 1001RB-II

here's what i know and experienced:
    1. its normal, to me its kinda like a feedback signal when you have your acoustic electric guitar without the pickup hole cover, yeah you need to walk around, i found that i got mine loudest when i had my bass' pickups facing the rig, and get least when i say away kinda in the left or right with of the amp, it works for me :)

2. yes, its variable, its normal. it doesnt start when you turn amp on, it will start moving when you crank the amp little bit more, and when it kinda warm up already, and it will moves the fastest when you crank even more and it normally happens to me when i really crank the gain volume and really dig into my playing :) so you're fine bro .. that's how GK's fans works

4. jnightmare

jnightmare

May 12, 2004
    Carson, CA
    1. i had a problem with my amp similar to that, i found out it was because the outlet i used was shared with my T.V. if my T.V. is on then i get a buzzing moise but when my T.V. is off i get no buzzing. so maybe it has to do with other household items sharing an outlet or something.

also with the same amp i never get a buzzing problem at someone elses house. so its my outlet/house/household items. so check out different outlets in your house and see what happens. i remember seeing people talk about that long time ago on the carvin site, if you visit that site since you have a carvin do a serach and see what they wrote.

5. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Try a power conditioner to clean up your power supply, and as the other gentleman said the fan only works when you push the amp hard, most of the time it's immobile. How do you like the tone of the rig otherwise?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Another thing, are there flouresent (sp) lights nearby? A television? lights on dimmer switches? Try unplugging the bass and see if it still happens. I have played through the best of equipment that has buzzed and hissed in some venues and not in others. I think someone here said it before, bldg wiring sometimes plays a part. My GK rig is clean and dead quiet, the fan comes on only when needed and it has never run hot!

7. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    Have the 1001rbII and use a MM sterling and Carvin B5. No buzzing or noise at all.

8. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    for the buzzing

Try a different cable. It may be something as simple as that.

danman

9. TVD

TVD

Jul 14, 2004
    Yeah, i got a 400RB IV several months ago, which i love by the way, but when i first got it that buzzing bothered me too. Same deal, when facing the amp making adjustments is when it's the worst, which is annoying when making adjustments for sure. What works for me is if i just put my right hand over the strings while adjusting with my left hand it almost totally goes away. Then when i turn around and take a step away from the amp, it's gone. It also does matter on the building i've found. In some places it's dead quiet even facing the amp close up, in other places it buzzes when facing the amp. I've found a ground lift dosen't help, but i've never had a problem with it anywhere while gigging cuz when turned around playing it's fine. Trent

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the info everyone. I feel a little better and will give it some time to work out the kinks and get used o it.

Oh, and Ralphdaddy, I absolutely love the tone. Big improvement over my Hartke.

11. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I would certainly hope so!! I'm in love with GK of all forms, I may be getting a NEO 2x12 for Christmas, not sure yet kind of batting ideas back and forth. The only sticking point is the fact they're 12's not 10's. Who knows, can't go wrong probably. Congrats again, sweet rig.

12. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I don't have my G-K1001RB 2-10" combo in front of me, but I believe there's a 'Horn Level' or 'Tweeter Level' control knob or switch on the front panel. Try that out too. It's been quite a while since I've used my combo but I usually defeat the tweeter. As I recall it's a bit hissy.

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

Ralph..don't worry about it being 12s. I recently heard a 1001RB II with a neo 212, and there are PLENTY of punch and highs. You won't be missing anything not having tens. I was never a GK fan, and I was so impressed, I ended up buying the 1001RB II head.

14. I play a 1001RB-II with a Neo212. Sounds better than my 4x10. Plenty of punch, and highs. Very even across the frequency spectrum. Dont worry about the 12s, youll be satisfied.

15. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Just thought I should report back for those interested that when I brought the GK rig to my bands rehearsal space, the annoying "buzzing" noise was completely gone. Even when standing directly in front facing the amp. Very quiet now. It must have had something to do with the electrical in the room at the house.

I love the tone of this amp!! GK Rocks!!

16. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

We in the electrical industry call that "dirty power"
    Welcome to the GK family :)

17. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Thanks, pyrohr.

It appears you were correct because my house is full of electronics and fluorescent/dimmed lighting. So glad I don't have to return it. I've been obsessing over GK for months since I tried one out at the GC. Seems like I had to wait forever to actually purchase one. Guess I got a little nervous after spending all that cash.

18. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    ;)