GK 700RB-II effects return issue (Bob Gallien, help!)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by braydensharrar, Oct 23, 2011.

1. braydensharrar

braydensharrar

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    I am trying to figure out a way to run my electric and acoustic bass into my 700. I don't want to use an AB box and I'd rater not send the acoustic through the pre.

Whenever I plug my upright into the effects return, the main input's signal (my electric bass) is cut. As I understand it, that should not happen.

Manual says:
    "Effects Return: Returns the Effects Loop signal to the signal path. May also be used as a secondary input for another instrument or CD player. The preamp signal is not interrupted if the Send jack is not used."

Am I understanding this wrong?

Is this possible?

Thanks!

Brayden

2. Either that's a mistake in the manual or we are both interpreting it wrong. Pretty sure it's always been with GK heads that if you plug something into the effects return and not use the send, whatever comes in through the regular input takes a back seat. I know it's like that on my 2000RB.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

First in bold, that is the way it is supposed to work.
    The underlined is a typo, should read "if the Send jack is used".
    Try using the effects send jack instead of the return, it is a series effects circuit, the interrupt IS in the Effects Return jack. :D

4. The almighty B-string has spoken.

5. braydensharrar

braydensharrar

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    I think I'm having a hard time understanding.

Is what I'm looking to do possible?

6. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Try plugging your upright into the effects send jack, works for some. Others not so well and they use a A/B switch with a separate preamp for the DB.
    Effects send to A/B switch, DB to preamp to A/B switch, from A/B switch to effects return jack. ;)

7. braydensharrar

braydensharrar

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    That sounds like it could work! Thanks

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Why not use a switcher? I'd think an A/B preamp type device would be a much better option, giving more tonal control to the acoustic, and leaving the electric alone with the GK's eq.

9. braydensharrar

braydensharrar

Feb 21, 2009
    California
    Because I really don't need to. I just need to be able to hear my upright on stage. I'm only sending my pickup to me amp, I have a mic that's sent to FOH.

I don't want a switcher because I hate having stuff that runs on batteries and/or power supplies. I had one, just returned it.

I'd just like it if I could have an amp that worked like the manual said on the GK.

Oh well.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021