1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700RB II for $400, Should I jump the gun?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PeBoss, Jul 31, 2008.

1. PeBoss

PeBoss

Jul 22, 2008
    Denton, Texas
    Its a local used sale that I might be able to barter down to 300 however, I do not have much experience with GK Heads.

I'd be pairing it with an Avatar B210 Neo and SB112. Would the GK head supply enough power for the two at 4 ohms?

I'm trying to get a fairly warm, clean, low end tone with some decent mid range growl when needed.

Or would I be better off with a Little Mark II?

2. Outlaw_son

Outlaw_son

Mar 8, 2007
    Omahell
    YES. Plenty of power and it covers those tones well. Havnt played the LM2.

3. PeBoss

PeBoss

Jul 22, 2008
    Denton, Texas
    Yeah I'm just a little tight on money at the moment, but for 400 it sounds like a great deal.

Are GK heads pretty reliable? My local guitar shopped warned me about them, saying that repairs on them are very hard because all the parts are "modular" and hard to get.

4. You had better snag that before I do!!!

GK heads are some of the most reliable heads out there IMO and IME. I don't know about repairs but you may not need any. Great price for a great head. GET IT!!!

5. PeBoss

PeBoss

Jul 22, 2008
    Denton, Texas
    I'm guessing the GK will be a bit of a step up from my Ashdown Mag 300. Come to think of it, ive been running that at 8 ohms through a 4x10 (so about 185 watts?) and I was worried about power on the GK?!

I'm going to call the guy and test it out tomorrow, I'll see if I come home with a new head.

6. PeBoss

PeBoss

Jul 22, 2008
    Denton, Texas
    I'm not at TOO big a disadvantage by using non GK cabs am I?

I know I can't use the bi amp features but that is just for tweaking the tweeter/horn right?

7. You'll be fine running full range through a non-GK cab. Just be careful when using cabs of lesser power handlng than your GK can deliver as I almost set the driver coils in my good mate's Laney 2x15 on fire once with my 1001RB. :ninja:
    The power output rating on Gallien Krueger amps has not been "bigged up" like some brands are alleged to be. You get the power you're promised. :smug:

Yeah, the biamp functionality is good but you don't have to use it. You still get all the top end from the main amplifier anyway so whatever cab you use, if it's got a horn in it and you've got it dialled in on the back of the cab, you'll get the treble from it using a GK amp.

8. I have\had this exact same setup (and also a GK NEO112) but have since sold the head, trying to sell the SB112, bought another GKNEO112 and an LMII.

$400 is pretty good but try to barter down to $350 or less if you can, especially if they don't have a rack included. I sold mine here without the rack around $300ish.

And BTW it kicked butt in a 4 piece rock cover band versus 2 tube half stacks (Marshall and Bassman). :bassist:

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    They're reliable. Your local shop is full of it. The parts aren't hard to get.

You'll probably never need repairs.

Lots of power with GK and a great eq to shape your sound. Once you get used to the boost function you'll be able to dial in a very tube like sound.

I've used GK for many years. Every model I've used has been stellar. Currently I have a little GK MB150S combo for the smaller gigs I currently do. It sounds just as good as the more powerful models.

10. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm another very satisfied GK used of many years now. I bought a 700RB recently off another TB'er for the louder gigs I do and it kicks butt. If it's in great shape $400 is reasonable but not an amazing deal. I got mine for $300 in excellent condition.

I also own an MB150E head and a MB150S-III combo and for reliability, versatility, and ease of use the GK's are really hard to beat. I put the 700RB through a 4 ohm 1x15 and it's nice and loud. Driving two 8 ohm cabs should be no problem at all with this thing!

11. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    It's a good price, especially if you can talk them down -- and still a good buy even if you can't.

IME gigging and touring, GK heads have ample power for their stated rating, sound excellent with a variety of cabs, and my 400RB has been bulletproof for nearly 20 years.

12. ZonGuy

ZonGuy

Sep 2, 2007
    Another satisfied GK 700RBII user here. Great tone, flexible, plenty of power, nice features.

13. IMO that's a good but not quite insane deal. I'd probably grab it if I had the duckets; I haven't had much experience w/GK & would like that to change. :)
    BTW, I believe the term 'jump the gun' means to start before one should, or act prematurely. I think 'pull the trigger' might be more appropriate here. :D

14. leftymike

leftymike

Sep 23, 2006
    Austin Tejas
    I have a 700rb(original version) and love it. there were some problems with these but GK rectified it with the 700RB II (hence the II). As far as parts etc. GK told me if I did run into prob that I could upgrade mine to the series II very easily for about $90. Not bad for a head I paid $175 for.

15. PeBoss

PeBoss

Jul 22, 2008
    Denton, Texas
    Well I've bargained down to $350 but now I have to figure out where we can meet other than a movie theatre parking lot :meh:

16. That's a great freakin' deal. Hope you enjoy your GK as much as I do mine.:bassist:

17. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i dumped a LMII for a 1001RB-II

love that GK tone so much & just picked up a 700RB-II here in the classifieds for $420. :hyper::hyper::hyper:

so $400. is a good price

18. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    $350 is great! Just make sure you test it out with a bass and a speaker cabinet to make sure it works before you hand over cash. Seriously. If I were an honest seller, I'd welcome that too.

19. As far as having the GK repaired is concerned, my personal experience with a 112 combo version of the same head was it took about 2 days for my repair guy to fix a fairly substantial break down. He never mentioned any problem with getting parts. I'd say for $350 it's worth meeting in a parking lot for;)

20. PeBoss

PeBoss

Jul 22, 2008
    Denton, Texas
    Strange thing happened. I actually kinda know the guy who is selling the head. He knows the same people that I know in the music scene here and we might have even played a show together a few years back.

I'm checking it out on Saturday!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021