Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700RB-II Full Stack Package or SWR rig 2 package

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brennan19, Mar 22, 2005.

1. brennan19

brennan19

Mar 15, 2005
  2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The GK is probabally better than the SWR one, depending on what you like. The SWR Workingmans has no highs, but it has great lows. The GK isn't too great on much of anything, but it is well balanced. Unless you play hardcore metal, go with the GK.

3. It's funny how Musician's Fiend calls that a full stack... it's more of a 2/3 stack, with that 2x10 instead of a 4x10. I've never been a big fan of GK cabinets but if you're playing metal, that setup will cut through like a hot knife... GK stuff is voiced in such a way that it's almost always audible if EQd right, even in a really dense mix. The SWR Workingman's series is so-so at best. I had the SWR Workingman 1x15 for a while, it was decent.

I think you can do better than any of these setups, though. Are you willing to get used stuff? There's even plenty new setups that you could get that would blow away both of those, and save you a ton of money too. How about this?

1 Avatar 4x10 ($340)
    1 Avatar 1x15 ($240)
    1 BBE BMax ($250)
    1 QSC RMX 850HD ($300)

Lets see..... when you add in a rack and assorted cables,that should bring you in at a price right around that of the GK rig, but with (IMO) way better tone and more headroom.

4. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 on you can do better than either of these setups. Another option would be to go with 2 Avatar 212s.

If you're nervous about using a preamp/power amp combo, you could get the two Avatar cabinets (terrific value) for $279/ea., then add a GK 1001RB amp ($749), which is a step up from the head in the stack you're looking at, or an Ashdown MK500 ($795), which is nice, too. Better cabinets, bigger/better head, everybody wins! :D

I've never liked SWR cabinets much, but maybe that's just me. You'll find LOTS of people here who think Avatar cabs are the best buy in cabinets, though.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Or you could get the Avatar cabs and pair em with a special deal Ashdown head. That would be an awesome rig.

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'll second the Avatars. I've seen the SBX series GKs in person and they turned me off, they don't seem as well put together as the should be. I'm going with an avatar 110Pro and 115Neo under a 1001RB-II. Latter on I will possibly upgrade the cabs to GK RBHs and keep the avatars at my drummer's house.

That setup is 300 more watts, same tone, and a $150 less than the MF package.

7. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I own the GK stack. Before I purchased it I tried the SWR at GC. The SWR wasn't bad, but the GK was more my thing, so that's what I went with.

I know that doesn't help you much but all I can say if you decide on the GK, make sure you buy it from Riksmusic. I paid $1200 for the rig with free shipping. Also, I wouldn't buy the system unless you get the 115SBX-II cabinet with the 400 watt speaker. I got the original 115SBX cab with the 200 watt speaker and it lasted three months. Luckily it was under warranty and GK took care of it.

8. toby

toby

Feb 10, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    I too bought that exact stack I play rock, not hard rock but 2 distorted guitars and a loud drummer. Well, I went through all the speakers twice in those sbx cabs. Finally, I swapped them for RBH speakers which can handle more watts. The c.s. at GK is pretty good so that was easy enough. But all I can say is I was not too happy with the tone, or its ability to cut through. The head is not that great, I agree that you should look around some more. For 1350 you might be able to find a used mesa boogie m-pulse 600,(e-bay for 800) paired with a decent 410 or 212 like avatar and you would way way happier.
    i mean like 1000 times happier.
    Good luck!

9. brennan19

brennan19

Mar 15, 2005
    ok, thank you very much, i appreciate it alot. i think im going to go with the avatar cabs.

10. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    riksmusic.com sells the 700RB-II head for $500 shipped, and the 1001RB-II for $600 shipped.

Don't pay $750!

And yes, go with the Avatar cabs. Maybe even a single 4 ohm 212?

11. nspbass

nspbass

Nov 26, 2004
    I would go the 2 B212's plus the Ashdown MK500 route. LOUD and awesome.

nspbass

12. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I second getting you stuff at Riksmusic, it will save you way more than MF.

13. That MK500 is not my cup of tea. I tried one pretty recently and it was really colored in a strange way, like some effect was on or something. I like the more typical solidstate tone like GK, SWR, and the Kustom Groovebass 1200, so I'm recommending you try out that MK500 head if you are considering it.

14. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I just bought that setup and I'll pick it up this weekend. :hyper:
    Bought it through GC for 1250 out the door sans tax (price match) and had the cabs upgraded to series II (400W vs 200).
    I'll comment more when I get it but if you go through GC, they don't normally stock the 700 head. See if you can upgrade to the 1001 head.

15. 'JC'

'JC'

Mar 14, 2000
    I would have if the price they quoted me hadn't been more than 1250.