Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700rb-II plus a power amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metalbass101, Jul 18, 2004.

1. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I think I made the decision to get a 700rb-II head and a 410SBX.Then mabye after I get a REAL bass,we can talk about getting a nice 4 ohm cab (Avatar B212) and possibly a power amp.But can I use a power amp on this GK head?

2. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Likemindedly I use a 400RB,a Crest v900 a PV 2x10 and an avatar 2x12. The 400 RB drives the 2x10 and I go from the direct out (1/4" older version) to the Crest that drives the 2x12. Works pretty well. The master volume on the GK affects both cabs. I throttle back the Crest (bridged = 1100 watts) so as not to blow the 2x12. I need more stage volume so I'm thinking about getting an SBX 2x10 or 4x10. Then I'd run the Crest in stereo to drive the PV and 2x12 and use the 400RB to drive the SBX. Kind of complicated but extremely good bang for the buck in this crazy world of thousand dollar amps and cabinets. The more modern GKs have different patching capabilities so I'm not sure this would work with the 700 RB. I've considered upgrading to the 700 myself, particularly if I go with the 4x10, so I'm interested in hearing what the GK experts say on this too.

3. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    id go with a 1001rb and a 4x10 avatar, 8ohm model, run it threw the 480watt 8ohm output.

lots of room to add on to, and the avatar 4x10 is great, add on another 4x10, 1x15,or 2x12 8ohm cab when your ready and run it threw the 4ohm out on it....and your set : )

Personaly, i love the G-K stuff, totaly tight hi fi sound.

then again, im not a big fan of fat warm tube sounding stuff for what i use that rig for ( hardrock/metal ), but you can get pretty close to it with the GK set up.

4. metalbass101

metalbass101

Jan 24, 2004
    I understand you.Ampeg is really good and all but when it really comes down to it,solid state is just me.I think it's safe to say GK is the original king of solid state.I like it clean,I also dig some presence in my sound.

You said the 1001rb-II or whatever,is their really any difference to it besides Watts??I mean the 700rb-II is still made by the same people,in class H right???I mean I know musiciansfriend isnt excactly the most accurate magazine to trust in, but its a bit of a bold statement to basiclly say "this amp is just like the 1001rb-II,except it's got 480W./4, and 320W./8 + 50 tweeter W." next to the 700rb-II without bieng somewhat truthfull .

Still to this day there a DIRECT OUT on the front left side(from our view) on the amp(s).Is that what you were talking about??? Cuz' if you can get the 400rb-? to use as a pre-amp then the 700rb-II has got to have Pre-amp abillities.

Thats what I like about the GK heads,armed to the teeth with options,features,security,abilities, and most of all...tone :) .

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Yeah I like the GK tone too. Very useful for the blues/funk/oldies that I do. The direct out on my old 400RB is on the back and is a 1/4" jack so it's easy to go from that to the power amp. I think the newer versions have a low impedence 3-prong jack which would require an adaptor. If that's true, or even if it isn't, I think the recommendation to get the 1001 is good. You'll have less power than my set up but with 2 cabs it will be comparable in volume and simpler. And anyone who has hooked things up wrong will tell you simple=good. You'll also have the direct out available to you for going to the PA. I have to use a direct box to do that.

6. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    1001 and 700 are the same pre amp section i belive, but wattage is also a big deal, you can always fix the tone up with a pre amp, which you will probly get later on anyways.

1001 mark II has the 3 pin XLR output for PA/power amps.