Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700RB-II vs Fender Bassman 400h

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by opivy3056, Sep 3, 2005.

1. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Hey whats up

I currently own a fender bassman 400. Im satisfied with the volume output of the amp but i dont like the way the tone controls are set up. It sounds alright with my sansamp but the treble is always too harsh when i need to crank it. Im looking for an extremely growly sound with a smooth treble end.

I was thinking about upgrading to a GK700 RB and selling this peice. Its too heavy to lug around anyways. 46 lbs compared to 17 is outrageous.

Im using a Avatar b410 delta for a cab.

What would you recommend doing? If i should sell it, how much should i sell it for? its a 2003 model.

2. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Get the GK. Awesome tome, more powerful, gets more girls. 'Nuff said.

About 1/2 the STREET price is average. NOT 1/2 the retail price.

3. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    does your avatar cab have the new cross over? if not then thats where the problem lies. everyone complained about harsh highs with the old avatar cross overs. i think the GK will sound better then the bassman though.

4. Go G-K. The 700 is one of their heads that has the biamp feature and separate volume controls for the woofers and tweeters. Hook it into a G-K cab with their speakon cable and it will send 480W @ 4 ohms to your woofers and 75W @ 4 ohms to the tweeters. This gives your woofers a little growl while keeping the tweeters clean and clear. I love my 700 biamped into the SBX series cabs.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I have the GK and the Avatar 4x10 (without the new crossover). With the right amount of tweaking of the cab tweeter and the amp, you'll get a nice, clear tone. The GK is a hell of a head and it sounds great through my Avatar.