1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 700RB-II w/Avatar B115H/B210 Neo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dirty Dave, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The GK 700RB-II is rated for 480 watts at 4 ohms and 320 watts at 8 ohms. The Avatar cabs in question are both rated for 600 watts at 8 ohms.

If I am not mistaken (and please correct me if I am), the GK is going to send a maximum of 240 watts to each 8 ohm cabinet. Is that enough for the Avatars? I have read some posts about "underpowering" lately. Should I concerned about that with this combination?

I suppose I could pay more for the 1001RB-II, but I currently use a 300 watt amp that is more than loud enough for every situation I have been in. My band is always asking me to turn down. Therefore, I am very confident that the 700RB-II will provide plenty of headroom and would rather not spend the extra money if it isn't necessary.

What are your thoughts? Anyone using this set-up or a similarly powered rig?

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    It should be fine. I've driven a 4ohm Avatar B410 (bypassing the internal speakers) from my Ampeg B328 combo which is only 150watts without any problem. You should reconsider the 1001RB-II vs. the 700RB-II if you can swing it though... The cost difference is only $100 (riksmusic.com) and the extra headroom is more than worth it.

- Frank.