GK 700RB II with Ampeg Pr410 HLF

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cola_klinks, May 30, 2005.

1. cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Can you tell me if this combination would fulfill my needs...for musical gear anyway. "Lookin fer love in all the wrong places..."

GK 700RB II with Ampeg Pr410 HLF playing a BC Rich Eagle 1980's

Previous Post:
    I've read tons of reviews for the last few days and everyone has their own preference based on what they do. I need some help finding a decent rig. I hadn't play for about ten years and recently came back. I'm playing an early 80's BC Rich Eagle in a metal/hardcore band. I like my sound punchy and thick. Any advice on what I should get? I'm open to combos. Money is an object and I don't really want to go under 300w --prefer 450w. I wasn't too thrilled when I tried a Behringer rig, but am open if anyone has a setup that worked for them. I used to have a GK400 with a 410 cab - 1990-1995, but never really found a sound I was thrilled with. I admit that I don't know much about the workings of all this stuff -- trying to learn -- I just need some good honest, experienced advice in today's market. Thanks a lot in advance.
  2. ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    I really like the Ampeg PR410HLF cab - it's the best 4x10 they make in my opinion. The cab isn't as efficient as most 4x10's as it sacrifices some of that for increased low frequency extension, but at 95db@1w/1m it still gets the job done. It's one of the few 4x10 cabs on the market that can outrumble most 1x15 and even a lot of 1x18 cabs. It's very warm and low, but it can do nice mids and attack as well.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with the GK head.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I don't think the GK would have enough power to push it to get really loud.
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    You'll probably have enough juice, because the 700RB-II is very powerful. It makes the previous generation 700RB sound like a practice amp. I have both, and the difference is stunning. This assumes the Ampeg cab is 4 ohms, so you'd be getting the full 480 watts out of the GK.

But as someone else observed, Ampeg cabs aren't terribly efficient. I've used one at a gig and rehearsals, and it doesn't generate nearly the same volume as my SWR Goliath III using the same heads. The tone is awesome though.

So I would suggest getting the rig someplace with a good return policy, and see how it works. If you need more power, a more efficient cab, or both, just make the change. Or maybe just start out with the 1001RB-II, which delivers 700 watts into 4 ohms. That should do it.

Regardless, you won't lack in the tone department with your proposed rig. It will sound fantastic.
  5. garethCV

Sep 7, 2004
    PDX, Oregon
    I used a GK 1001RB-II into a PR410HLF for quite some time. It sounded great and filled the room with better tone at a very similar volume as the Classic 810E I used before that with the same head. The cab definitely demands a lot of juice, and I'd even say that the 1001RB-II wasnt quite giving it what it needed, which is one of the primary reasons I sold it and picked up two more efficient 410s to run as a stack. Probably my favorite Ampeg cabinet, built rediculously strong but the unpadded wooden handles are hand-killers!
  6. cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Well, I've been doing a lot of research, plus listening to the great advice from you guys and the GK 1001RB II seems to be the logical choice for volume and tone. I'm definately picking up the Ampeg cab. I found a used one for a reasonable price. Thanks for the tip on the volume issue. The head is 4 ohm so it should give a good kick with the 1001RB II while maintaining the tone. I am definately open to other advice in the meantime. Thanks.
  7. The GK RB1001 - should give it a real kick in the ass- 700w at 4ohms- keeping that GK's are VFL (very f@#king loud) amps pretty much set to beable to hear you from my house :bassist: The ampeg cabs sound nice, I'd love one if it werent for the $1600 AUD price tag, and the 90+lbs weight of them :rolleyes:
  8. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    If your going GK, go the 1001. It's not really much more money at all, and it's worth it IME.
  9. cola_klinks

May 29, 2005
    Okay I picked up the Ampeg PR410 HLF today and I have a GK 1001RB II on order from another store...should receive it tomorrow. I played a bit in the store with an Eden 800 and GK 700RB II. FYI the Eden had great sound, but really lacked low end, warmth and power - probably a really great Jazz or folk rock head. The GK fulfilled my sound needs and power at half volume...I can't wait for the 1001RB II for that extra kick.

Thanks for all the excellent advice. I couldn't have done it without you guys.