1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700RB II With Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMick, Apr 16, 2010.

1. Not really. The GK cabs designed for biamping only provide that, biamping. Growl can be had by any well designed cabinet, whether it be a 410, 115, 212, etc. A Bergantino will surely provide the same amount of growl as the GK cabs would. The only advantage you have with the GK cabs is the biamp feature and the fact that GK cabs are designed for their heads. Other than that, you could get some nice growl out of an Avatar. I do.

2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    I used to run it thru a gk neo 410 but now I use two gk neo 112's. Very easy to move around and at gigs I set one on each side of the drummer. Sounds Great.

3. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    takes about 10 minutes to rewire an avatar to use biamp om the head and 0 cost

4. Well there you go. Win/win from Avatar!

5. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    I thought the "boost" added growl?

6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Sorry Mate But you all wrong!!! You have to turn up your boost the same amount you turn down you master's to get the Gk Growl!!... Sorry to say but you have it all back words...In fact GK tell you that you really should not push your input master any higher then about 12 O'clock!!!

7. BD Bass

BD Bass

Jul 20, 2009
    G&K 700 with a G&K 210 plus a Eden 210.... I love this tone. The sound quality looses some when daisy chained, I think it overdrives the Goldline , gets a bit mushy.

:bassist: :D

8. BassMick

BassMick

Apr 13, 2010
    How about the 410RBX-II Bass Half Stack? Plently of GK growl?

Thanks to everyone that has been posting all the info.

9. crustychef

crustychef

Apr 4, 2009
    Seattle WA
    When I went buy my rig I tried my 700rbII on an Aguilar DB212 and a TC 212. The Aguilar was the winner by a very small margin. It had a touch more presence but I ended up going with the TC just out of the fact that I could not fit the Aggie into my car. Not to slight the TC in any way. It was really growly and had so much punch for such a small cab. It was also about $300 cheaper. I plan on adding the TC 210 to it as well. I played through both, TC 210 &212, at once and it was such beautiful wall of sound.

10. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Not entirely true......

You want to push the GK head's poweramp into the rails for grunt and growl. You can get the 700 there sooner (volume-wise) with a 8ohm 112, than you can with a 4ohm 112. Pushing the preamp leads to the preamp clipping, and not the infamous gk growl. In fact, I can't think of a worse sounding clipped preamp than the GK rb's.

Here's a copy-n-paste quote from a rag interview:

"When a power amp puts out as much power as it is capable of producing, that is referred to as "hitting the rails." The way our amps go in and out of the rails is very different to how other manufacturer's amps react. Sometimes you will hear guys talk about "the G-K growl." If a bassist is used to playing an 800RB, he'll know exactly where he needs to place the controls on his amp to get that G-K growl. If he then moves to the 1001RB-II which puts out over twice as much power as the 800RB, he'll have to play his amp much louder to get that same type of growl. I have found that this is one of the biggest things that bassists have to learn in moving to a more powerful amplifier. If you want to maintain the classic G-K growl and don't need to play at loud volumes, then you definitely want to stick with a lower powered amplifier so it is easier for you to hit the rails."

Link to the entire article.....
    http://www.instituteofbass.com/archive/product_spotlight/gallien_krueger/

11. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Go through RMC Audio for a gk neo112, and you'll find that it's literally only a few dollars more for the GK cab (after you figure in shipping from Avatar)...... and you won't have to spend any time on rewiring the cab.

12. somegeezer

somegeezer

Oct 1, 2009
    England
    I just got a Laney NX410 for my 1001RB-II... and i'm loving it so far... looking to try out an RBH from GK though... bit more expensive which is why i didn't get one right away... might try use each cab together once i get it. But yeah, try out some Laney.

13. Working Bass

Working Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    700RB-II into a Barefaced Vintage (2x15) - killer rig, been gigging it recently instead of my V4BH - lighter, louder, warmer. An outstanding head, these will be known as classic heads one day

14. bassman74

bassman74 Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Montreal
    Hi,

I use to have a GK700rbII with a GK Neo115 series II.
    I got compliment about my topne everywhere i played.

the Neo 115 is affordable also!!!

I regret this rig so much that i'm buying a new one...

15. I have the 700RBII with the Neo 212-II 8 ohm. Have yet to really crank it past 12 on the master (well maybe 1230). Played hotel main ballrooms with great results.

50 lb. cab....sweet.

I did try the Mesa PH212 in the store and if I wasn't a cheap old dogg I would've gotten that. Great match for the power of the GK heads.

16. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed 100%...

- georgestrings

17. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

I don't doubt that - IME, G-K's match up quite well with cabs by Mesa, Ampeg, and SWR...

- georgestrings

18. paulcasperjr

paulcasperjr

Dec 25, 2009
    I recently bought a 700rbii for $300. I have it paired with a GK neo12. I soon hope to get a larger cab for it.
    The rig sounds great ran full range. I know this setup can be biamped however when i switch the settings on the back of the speaker to biamp I hear no difference.
    I am using the special gk speakon cable and I know the speaker is in working condition. I'm worried it may be the amp. Anyone ever have this problem?

19. Vee Dubb

Vee Dubb

Aug 30, 2009
    No worries on the bi-amp mate. If you really want to hear the highs, tweak the treble knob while bi-amped. You'll hear it then!

20. So does this mean a single 8ohm 212 cab would grow more than 2x 112 cabs (total 4 ohms)?

While 2x 112 cabs (4 ohms) would be louder than a single 8ohm 212 cab?