1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700rb-ll or 800 RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SwitchGear, Jun 22, 2007.

1. SwitchGear

SwitchGear

Mar 23, 2005
    Sunny Beach
    I am ready to buy one of these amps. I use one SB112 Avatar in the clubs and 2 SB112's for outdoor shows, in a funky jazz/rock band. I like deep and low but a balanced sound.

Is it a great advantage to opt for the 700RBll over the 800RB because of these increased headroom, or is the 800RB loud enough?

2. 800RB is plenty loud for me and I've used it in every type of venue including coliseums and stadiums.

Never played a 700RB.

3. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Both are great amps.

The 700RB-II has more power, and is also cheaper.

The 1001RB-II would be my pick, though, and is the same price as the 800RB.

4. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I really love my 800RB. The tone is great, and I've never encountered a situation where my amp (scroeder 212 + gk 800RB) wasn't loud enough. I've never really pushed it past half. And either way, if you're playing an arena, you're going to be getting PA support.

5. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'll recommend the 700rb-II.
    Actually I'll recommend a used 1001rb-II.
    They come up every once in awhile under $600 bucks and that's what you be wantin.

6. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Mr. Lag, I ran a GK 800 head with a Ampeg SVT 810 cabinet for many - many years (26 years or so) and it was always loud enough. Still have the head and use it at rehersals, it's never went down and I won't part with it....but....if I was buying a new GK head it'd be a 1001RB-II.

7. ExaltBass

ExaltBass Gold Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Twin Cities, MN
    +10 on the 1001RB-II

8. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I have the 700RB-II and one of my bass player friends owns an 800RB. Personally, I wouldn't trade with him if I was given the opportunity...but then again, I don't think he would either.

Funky/jazz rock band...that's kind of a tough one because I would go with the 700RB-II for funk and the 800RB for Jazz.

Okay, I'm a big help, I know.:oops: I'll just move along now....

9. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    IMHO, the 700RB-II gets close enough to the tone of the 800RB that I'd take the 700RB-II any day. Plus, its tone-shaping controls are more flexible (and there's more of them), and it has modern features and power outputs. It's also much smaller and lighter.

Go for the 700RB-II (new or used) unless you can get a killer deal on a used 800RB.

10. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    With either the 700 or 1001rbII, you have the option of having the 50w horn section in the amp if you use GK cabs (excluding the blx models). With the 800rb you can run two cabs at 8ohms each and another 100w extension cab for the highs. The upside to the 700 and 1001 is the extra features and more watts. But remember that more watts doesn't always equate to more useable volume. I recently got a Mark Bass little mark II and though it is 500 watts, it is louder than my GK1001. I traded my 20 year old RB800 for the 1001 and I'm still not convinced it sounds any better.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021