1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 700RB Matching A Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guitarfan3, Jan 25, 2012.

1. guitarfan3

guitarfan3

Aug 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a GK 700RB. I run it through a 4x10 Genz Benz cabinet. When I play the GK at the store through a GK 4x10 cabinet, it sounds fantastic. When I play my rig live or at band practice it never sounds that good. Is it my imagination or do I need the matching GK cabinet?

2. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'm a big GK fan, but Genz Benz makes good equipment so I'm guessing it's something else. Are both cabs similar... as in, are they both Neo cabs? That sort of thing...

When you say it never sounds "that good"... that's a rather broad comment. Could you narrow that down a bit?

I'm guessing you're using your 700RBII at practice & gigs, but using the store's 700RBII when you're in the store. Is that correct? Unless you're really at home with this amp, are you actually using the same settings?

There's a bit... no, huge actually... difference between playing a rig in the store, and playing it on a gig. Huge. Sounds levels are different, room is different, you don't have the full band playing as well, etc, etc. Have you considered that?

Not trying to be a jerk about this, but you've thrown out a simplistic blanket statement. If you want serious answers and advice you need to tell us more.

B-string likes this.
  3. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Step 1 to proper sound is to do a frequency-slotting exercise: You and the rest of the band need to sit down and decide which instruments are going to occupy which frequency ranges, and when during each song, and then adjust all the amps' tone settings accordingly. This method is the exact opposite of the ubiquitous and idiotic concept of "cutting through the mix," which is just a brute-force method to compensate for a lack of forethought around where each instrument is going to sit, frequency-wise. If your band has not done this exercise, then now's the time. The most common mistake I see being made is that guitars and keyboards infringe downward into BG territory, while bass instruments infringe upward into guitar and keyboard and even vocal territory. There are plenty of other traps waiting, too, but that's the one I see most often. There's no reason whatsoever the amp and cab you have can't sound spectacular in a band setting -- if you approach things in a logical, orderly fashion.

4. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Quote "Step 1 to proper sound is to do a frequency-slotting exercise: You and the rest of the band need to sit down and decide which instruments are going to occupy which frequency ranges, and when during each song, and then adjust all the amps' tone settings accordingly. This method is the exact opposite of the ubiquitous and idiotic concept of "cutting through the mix," which is just a brute-force method to compensate for a lack of forethought around where each instrument is going to sit, frequency-wise. If your band has not done this exercise, then now's the time. The most common mistake I see being made is that guitars and keyboards infringe downward into BG territory, while bass instruments infringe upward into guitar and keyboard and even vocal territory. There are plenty of other traps waiting, too, but that's the one I see most often. There's no reason whatsoever the amp and cab you have can't sound spectacular in a band setting -- if you approach things in a logical, orderly fashion."

--This is probably the most valuable and informative answer that I've ever seen on TB, or any other forum. Doing what craig.p is suggesting will not only make your rig sound better, but also the rest of your band.

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Craig makes a good point.
    Having said that, I think GK gear pairs exceptionally well with each other, and perhaps most especially in this case where you get the advantage of the whole GK bi-amp head and cab.

6. NeoX gear is great, too, so it seems like you are reacting to the bi-amp with the GK cabs.

Don't move on a GK cab without try the Neo 212-II with that 700RB-II. It is a great pairing.

I think another great pairing with the 700RBII is the Mesa PowerHouse 212....like launching torpedoes!

Mystic Michael likes this.
  7. Hello all,

I am new to head and cabinet rigs and could use advice. I am in a three piece bar band, that plays a variety of music, the heaviest being a few Green Day tunes. Up until now I have used a Fender 400 Pro Combo which worked well. Occasionally not loud enough. I just bought a used GK 700RB head and need a cabinet now. I don't follow the 8 ohm 4 ohm issue. For budget purposes I was looking to add a used GK 410 NEO. Seems that all of the used ones available are the 8 ohm model. If a 4 ohm is available they are out of my price range right now. Would an 8 ohm 410 satisfy a small bar set up? If anyone is familiar with the Fender 400 Pro combo. Would I notice a big difference between that combo and the 700rb/Neo 410 8 ohm model? I cant see myself adding another cabinet down the road? Thank you all.

8. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    The GK Neo 410 would be a great match for the 700RB.
    Most folks don't notice much difference between performance with the same cab in 4 vs 8 ohms, honestly.

B-string likes this.
  9. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    Don't sleep on Ampeg cabs, they sound good with GK heads.

TC.65 and meatwad like this.
  10. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    If you bought the 8 ohm cabinet, then you could later add another (preferably matching) 8 ohm cabinet down the road. Then, you would be rocking!

mbelue likes this.
  11. Cool thank you.

12. Thank you for the advice.

13. Thank you very much. I am glad to hear that as I see a NEO 410 8 ohm in my price range. Appreciate the reply and expertise.

14. One more question. If you had to choose between a Neo 410 8 ohm or 212 4 ohm for small bar gigs which would you choose? I have a chance to pick up either or. Thank you.

15. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    They do not sound the same.
    4 ohm vs 8 ohm will make very little diff.
    Go play both. Decide which you like.
    I do not like the 410. I do like the 212.
    They're different.

16. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    Reykjavík
    I've used the Ampeg 410HFL with excellent results at a practice space (did not like it with SVT-3)

I've been using my own schroeder 410R for years with the 700RB and it's absolutely killer. Not the deepest bass obviously, but low mids that crush and punch for days. Sounds so good I can't ever justify selling it to get one of these new lightweight rigs.

17. Either one could be loud enough to get you kicked out of small bars. Don't go for the 4 ohm trap, it takes 10 TIMES the amp power through the same cab to double loudness. At 320 watts that means you need 3,200 watts so that little 160 watts doesn't mean squat @ 4 ohms.

18. You can't use the GK Bi-amp feature without a GK cab. GB are quality, but if it sounds darker to you it is probably because of the lack of dedicated highs through the tweeter in the GK. If one sounds that much better to you see if you can trade the GB for the GK ... Trust your ears and let them decide what to get, knowing for yourself is much better than a bunch of people on the internet trying to help you (but from their experience).

Your head is 4 Ohm stable, i would go with a 4x10 at 8 Ohms since i could then add another 4x10 at some point if needed. If you choose the 2x12 you are stuck with that. Besides due to the surface area of the cones on the 4x10 even getting less watts because it is 8 Ohms i bet it is louder than the 2x12. Cheers.

19. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Ya got that right! When my 700RB-II "hits the rails" through my pair of Mesa Powerhouse PH112s, it's crank city! :bassist:

MM

20. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    A basic tenet of GAS is that whatever you own does not sound as good as what you don't own, that is why GAS can never stop.

Doe the OP have a 700RBII? I had two 700RB amps and I thought they sounded great through my two EV B-210 cabinets I had during that episode of GAS.