1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 700rb - Sound from Genz Benz Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by guitarfan3, Jan 25, 2012.

1. guitarfan3

guitarfan3

Aug 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I hook up my GK 700rb to a Genz Benz 4x10 ported cabinet with a tweeter. It just does not sound the same as the amp does playing through a GK cabinet at the store. Why is that? Do I really need a matching GK cabinet. Or...am I just wrong and a cabinet is a cabinet.

2. Axxis

Axxis

Mar 8, 2011
    Oslo, Norway
    When playing trough a GK cab with GK amp, you BI-amp it. Means you control the tweeter separately. Not SUCH a big difference, but more dynamic.

Are you using a speakon cable or jack?

3. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    You've made the same thread already today. This is close to spamming. Like you were already told - we need more info. Which cabs exactly are those? How exactly does it not sound good and how do you want it to sound? And no, a cabinet is not a cabinet, they vary a lot from one manufacturer to another.

4. Different cabs sound different, just as different amps sound different.

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    +1000.

6. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
  7. guitarfan3

guitarfan3

Aug 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I'm just using a speaker cable between the amp and the cabinet. It just doesn't have a lot of punch. One of the responses said I've been too vague. I don't know how to explain it any other way. The sound I want to be able to dial up, is the sound jazz bassists often use when they slap. The strings just don't have the tone or resonate with that particular sound. Which is what impressed me about the amp when I bought it. I have the older version of the amp, not the II. I have taken off my MarkBass compressore and my Tech21 and still can't locate that sound.

My concern was that, and someone commented on this, that I wasn't making use of the bi-amp ability the amp has. I'd like to hear more about that from someone else.

8. guitarfan3

guitarfan3

Aug 9, 2009
    Maryland
    Thanks for the spamming warning. This was the first time I posted on TalkBass so I'm on a bit of a learning curve. I searched on the site and couldn't find my original post because I was interested in reading the replys. When I didn't find it, I thought I must not have posted it correctly. Thanks for putting me in my place. I'll be more careful in the future.

9. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    From the manual:

For connection to all other (non-GK non-biamped) cabinets, connect to the 1/4”
    outputs labeled 380W amp only. Set the Woofer XOver
    switch on the front panel to the Out position.

10. Questions are; Was the G-K cab you played also a 410, neo or ceramic speakers? Is the Genz cab new or possibly a damaged used cab, neo or ceramic? Did you use the same bass guitar with both cabs? Don't get too hung up by the Biamp just yet.

11. Excellent point!

12. guitarfan3

guitarfan3

Aug 9, 2009
    Maryland
    I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the heads-up!!!

13. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    +1!

I doubt the biamp thing was very noticable in the store as the crossover is at a very high 10 khz.

14. 5 KHz not 10 KHz. ;)

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ya, 5k. If he has the crossover engaged, it will take the topend off his slap sound.

And OP, different speakers sound different. It's why we all don't play the same thing. But, your Genz cab is quality. Assuming it works properly/isn't damaged, it'll give you that sound. If there is a tweeter adjustment on the back, turn it up, and make sure the amp is set to full-range, not biamp and that you're plugged into the jacks labelled low-out or low-amp. If your bass is active, make sure those controls aren't taking the topend off your sound.