Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 700RB Vs. 700RB-II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by b-ace!, Feb 25, 2005.

1. b-ace!

b-ace!

Jul 15, 2004
    Hi I was wondering what are the main differences between a GK 700RB and the 700RB-II?? I've found a second hand good condition 700RB which is £175 cheaper than a new 700RB-II, and I was wondering if it was a catch or not.

also does anyone have the 700RB? how do you find it? Any reviews, comments, critisms, advice would be much appreciated. I'll be using it with a GK 410 SBX cab. thanks :)

2. the older gk 700rb is i belive 100 watts less and it donst have as good as a bottom as the new ones, those models also have had issues with bad solder joints and lots of problems.

i would get the new 700rb-II you will be much happier.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yeah, that's about it. The new ones have a new board and new FETs, that's hwy they have more power. I'm not sure about the "more bottom end", however.
    but, if you want to save money and don't need the extra watts (though it can be very useful!), just get the old one and have all solder joints resoldered. It will cost a bit, but then it will be working right. I had a BL250, and after the resolder, the sound got better and the noise less. And I'm sure it got more reliable with that.

4. jamesr

jamesr

Feb 23, 2005
    PA
    The older GK's had a lot of issues, i know the turn on thump was a big one. One thing i hate about GK's is the fan is on the top, so mounting them in a rack is a pain. You have to have a blank about them. :smug:

5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    the II series heads have more power and are supposed to be a little "warmer" sounding. i've got a 1001rb I (in a 210 combo) and i think it sounds fantastic and it's been reliable to me. according to daniel elliot (who works at gk and knows his stuff) the older versions would fail very soon, so if the amp works now, chances are it's fine. in the us you can get a new II series pre-amp board to put in your amp for some $$$ to get the same sound (but not more power). the question is the money worth it? if you buy a new amp and it fails, it'll be covered for the first two years, whereas a used amp isn't. but if you buy the used amp and it works great, you saved some money... :bassist: