GK 700RB vs 700RB II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kmaultsby, Oct 1, 2005.

1. kmaultsby

Dec 31, 2004
    What is difference between these two amps because I have a chance to purchase a used 700 RB. What was added to the newer model? :smug:
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    search the threads on this subject if you havent already. I have a GK1001RBII, and heave read/heard that the improvments over the old GK1001RB are: more power, better tone.
  3. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    More power (something like 380W vs. 480W) Slightly different voicing in the preamp.

You can buy a preamp board for $75 from GK if it's that important.

I have a 700RB and a 1001RB II. I dropped in a new preamp. Not a huge diff.

Good Luck!
  4. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I have both 700 models, and I think there's a big difference. The 700RB-II has 100 watts more power at eight and four ohms, and, as others said, differently voiced EQ. It's much louder than the original 700RB, and the gap is far greater than the modest power increase suggests. I also think it produces warmer, more "organic" tones without compromising the signature G-K clarity.

But the 700RB is an excellent amp, which I've used on many gigs. If you have the right cabinet(s), it has plenty of juice for club gigs. You won't go wrong with either, so the question is whether the additional power and tone of the Mk. II are worth the price difference.