1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700rbi vs. PEAVEY TOUR 700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WILDBILL-45, Oct 6, 2009.

1. WILDBILL-45

WILDBILL-45

Oct 5, 2009
    Looking to buy a new head. Local music stores do not have these in stock & I need one rather quickly since my hartke ha4000 finally quit for good. I really liked its sound, but very unreliable, would cut out but come back on if you tapped on it....nobody was ever able to fix this problem.
    Has anyone played both the GK & PEAVEY & could offer some advice.

Thanks

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Yeah, I've played both - the G-K definitely sounded better, the Tour 700 had more power... I ended up buying the 700rb-II, and it's had way more power than I'll ever need - I have never regretted that decision...

- georgestrings

3. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    I own the GK 700RBII and have played the Peavey. The Peavey sounds very good, and it's powerful..... but, to my ears, doesn't really have a "signature sound". It's a pleasant sound and would work for many genres of music. However, if you like the GK sound(which I LOVE), I can't recommend the 700RBII more. It's got that "classic" GK sound, and sounds louder than its 480watts it's listed as.
    Either way, they are both solid units and should last you a good, long time.

4. Dragan

Dragan

Oct 5, 2009
    sorry to hear about your Hartke, mine served me well while I had one. for the money I don't think you'll find better amp-ever. Natthan Watts plays hartke for years and I dont think he complains!
    give new HA3500 a try or 500W head.
    Peavey tour 700 don't come CLOSE to these and it costs more.
    just my...3 cents....

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you own a bass cab that can handle 400 watts at 8 ohms, the gallien-krueger 700rb-II bass head would be a good choice. I own one and it sounds awesome. but if you still like hartke, give the hartke LH500 a try. I've read a few good reviews on that amp.

6. Antares

Antares Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I have a GK 700rbII and have used it for a few gigs and it had tons of room for me to turn up. Very clean sounding head. Im actually selling mine, havent thrown up a FS thread yet but was going to daily. Send me a PM if your interested. Its in damn near perfect shape only been gigged like 5 or 6 times.

7. mark-oj

mark-oj

May 26, 2006
    sydney australia
    I also have the 700RB-II. I pack it with a GK-SBX410 Cab and a GK RBX115-II. ---MATE---. I would have never believed the versatility of this amp...ive compared with a few including the peavey...but when i keep coming back to the GK..its just like...ill play a note...and that note will come out perfectly clean smack bang infront of my face...you can hear the wood grain on your frettboard.. its just such a pure sound...with other amps the tone and purity gets lost a little on its way..and some of that yummy stuff that you really need in tone can get filtered and swallowed by your amp..but not with the GK..you play, and the GK will deliver, as well as smack a little sugar on top to give you the smile you have been waiting for..personally the only thing that stands up to the GK is the ampeg..but i dont think i would ever cross over...this amp is just too perfect..all this sounds crazy..but trust me...once you play through the 700..you will understand what i mean.
    as much volume as you will ever need. all the features you will ever need...built in killer DI...with the GK baby u got it all...trust me ;)