1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 700RBII and Mesa Boogie 410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sir718, Feb 27, 2008.

1. sir718

sir718

Dec 2, 2007
    Philly
    I am currently using a Mesa Boogie Powerhouse 410 with a GK 700 RBII. I love the sound of the cabinet but sometimes I feel like the GK head isn't giving me the sound I want.

I am currently playing in a pop/rock band I am looking for a sound that would go well with that type of music

Any suggestions on other amps I should look at that pair well with the mesa or any suggestions for the GK

2. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Haul your rig to a store and try the head with different cabs, and the cab with different heads. It'll give you an idea of where your problem lies, as well as how to fix it.

3. The problem may lie with your head, i know the powerhouse cabs are very full and warm, perfect for your style. If you want the sound of the GK and a pop/rock amp why dont you give some Mesa heads a shot, there expensive but worth it. Have a look at the Big Block 750 and Titan.

4. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    How do you have your settings on the GK?

One thing I've noticed with some folks here using GK's is that they run the volume very high, and the master low. To me, this makes the head sound very sterile and cold.... and any grind you get is from overdriving the pre amp, which I think sounds like poopiee.

I do just the opposite. I push the master and boost up (12:00 and 2:00 respectively), and then control my volume with the pre gain (volume knob). If I start overdriving, then I back down a bit, and push up the master. This gives me the GK growl, and it keeps the tone a lot warmer. You'll have to experiment with the boost. More boost equals more growl. The manual recommends starting it at 12:00.

I run with the 5string filter on (even though I play 4 strings), eq flat, and then tweak the presence and contour for the bass I'm playing. I use the eq to adjust for the room (and that is usually just a bit in the mids). A nice add to my rig was the ebs multi-comp.... the tube sim mode added a nice touch to my tone.

All in all, I don't think I could be happier with my sound. When I consider the relatively small amount of cash I spent on the head, compared to the sound I'm getting, it rates up there as one of my best ever gear purchases.

Ljazz

5. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've always been able to get a sound that's good for pop/rock with a GK head and any decent speaker cabinets. As ljazz said, it may be the way you set up the boost,master and pre-gain. Tone settings too. And you need the right bass and strings. But if all that doesn't work for you then start trying out other brands. Try a Yorkville or Traynor 800 watt head. Or, blow the bank account and get a Mesa head.

6. ljazz

ljazz

Dec 10, 2002
    Cookeville, TN
    Great point!.... I think sometimes we let the GAS get to our heads, and forget that getting our sound starts from inside, through our fingers, the strings, the bass, the amp, and then the cab. And in many cases, we get the sound split in the middle and sent to the FOH, where we have little control. I learned a long time ago that I needed to depend on my fingers, strings and bass to give me the sound I want. The minute I depend on my amp and cabs to give me the sound, is the minute I start to get disappointed.

The great thing about the GK's is that they are good clean power, with a warm, growly, punch that lets you be heard, which is perfect for stage monitoring, or filling a room when you don't have PA support. I've spent a lot of money in the past buying gear I thought sounded great, only to be disappointed when in a band context I couldn't make that sound sit right in the mix.

Cheers,
    Ljazz

7. yansdgr

yansdgr

Feb 22, 2008
    get eden wt800 the best sounding amp ever or wt300 or traveler eden the best choices so far (for me)