GK 700RBII got fried because people are dumb - options? (lending gear rant)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NeonVomit, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Buy me a new head

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Pay to get it fixed

60 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Still pretty annoyed from last night, so long post to follow.

So some friends of mine had a gig last night. Experienced musicians with a bass player who's toured and recorded with a couple of big bands. Not a bunch of high school kids, is what I'm getting at here.

The drummer tells me they need a bass head for a gig. Naturally, I'm only happy to help. He passes by where I'm practising with my own band and picks up the head for soundcheck. I don't give it a second thought.

So later in the evening, I go down to the gig. It's all well and good, fun support act, then their set which is great. Then halfway through the last song, the bass cuts out. Amp switches off and won't switch back on. They find another bass head backstage, stick that on, and finish the set. Naturally I'm worried after they're done I go to see what happened. My amp is fairly warm but nothing excessive considering it was working for almost 3 hours. The promoter guy tells me not to worry, whatever happened it'll be sorted out.

So I'm hoping it's just a fuse or something, when the drummer mentions something about ohms. They hooked it up to two Ashdown 4x10s. I look at the first cabinet.

4 ohms. Second is also 4 ohms.

They had connected it to both.

I was not pleased, to put it mildly.

The promoter and a couple of guys from the band (not the bass player, who didn't really seem to care or be concerned in the slightest) were super apologetic and told me to tell them what they should do to sort it out. It's not clear who actually connected the cabs to the head - the soundguy (who has a very good reputation) wouldn't make such a basic mistake. I'd say it was the bass player's responsibility but he didn't really seem too fussed at all and didn't even say sorry or thanks for lending my amp. I had a lot I wanted to say but I was already angry enough and didn't want to get into a fight with anyone. Suffice to say I won't be helping anyone out with anything again.

So my main question here is what is my best option? Because nothing like this has ever happened to me before, what exactly got destroyed? Is it worth fixing or shall I tell them to just buy me a new head?

(also, great props to Gallien Kruger - the amp was working for 3 hours at 2ohms when it's designed for 4 and did a great job until it died - that's some good engineering right there)

Thanks for reading.

2. They blew it it, the should be held accountable to fix it. I'd give them an option, either pay for it to get fixed, which might be even more than a new head, or spring for a new one. Either way, they should pay for it, and it falls under the bassists responsibility unlimately as he was the one that loaned it from you.

Sartori, murphy, JC87 and 11 others like this.
  3. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Yeah, the promoter told me he'd take full responsibility for it, so at least they're accepting the blame and are willing to do something about it (I'm not even going to bother with the bass player, he seemed like a total prick so not worth my time).

I'm just wondering what I should tell them to do. What exactly got destroyed? The power amp? The circuits? I'm not really clued up about the actual nuts and bolts of operation... how much would potential repairs cost?

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    That amp probably went into protect mode. It will probably work fine once it cooled.

Never lend gear....

5. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Have you tried the amp since? Hopefully it just went into protection mode.

Moral of the story: never lend your gear to anyone, friends, experienced musicians, professionals, no one.

None of them will take care of other people's gear as if it were their own.

6. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    I haven't tried out, no. But it didn't switch to protect mode, it just went off and wouldn't turn on again.

I'll try it again now to see.

7. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Ok I left it in my car last night and now the GF has taken it to run some errands so I'll try it out when she's back

8. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Update II: It's cooled down enough, I plugged it in and switched it on, and it switches on fine. I don't have a cab at home (it's at the rehearsal space) so I'll put it through its paces tomorrow.

I'm pretty amazed that it still turns on... I've got even more respect for GK now, if that were even possible.

Thanks for hearing out my rant and the advice, guys. I'll update tomorrow when I get a chance to hook it up to my cab.

9. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas

Good engineering would actually be that the amp shuts itself down when connected to a load it can't handle to keep from destroying itself. Hopefully that's what happened.

andruca, Al Kraft, pcake and 7 others like this.
  10. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    Another reason to love GK.

11. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Pretty dumb mistake on the part of whoever hooked it up. I really believe that all amps should be able to handle a 2 ohm load. A lot of problems would be solved if cabinet pairing wasn't such an issue. Hopefully it just went into protect mode, GK is supposed to do that.

12. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I loaned an SVT 410HLF cab to a very well known band because their equipment truck broke down and we were on just before them. Their bass player ran an SVT 4 PRO in bridge mode at 1600 watts through it even though I specifically told him to not run bridged and asked him to keep the volume at a reasonable level. The result was that he blew 3 out of the 4 speakers. Their management offered to pay for the cab and even took my mailing address so they could send me a check. Of course, the check never came. That was 15 years ago and I haven't loaned gear to anyone since then.

13. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Northumberland, UK
    Amp will be fine, don't lend gear.

Flabass, rmars and lz4005 like this.
  14. I Love GK!

munkeyfish and BrentSimons like this.
  15. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    If for some reason, the GK is total toast, do not hesitate to simply have the promotor replace it, new.
    Cause that person did say they would make it right.
    Just sayin.

Love my 700rbii.

son_of_mogh and Rabidhamster like this.
  16. Robb Fesig

Robb Fesig

Mar 14, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with JJR58.

I'll go even further and say after getting a new one, get an estimate to get your original repaired. If it's not too expensive, pay for it yourself. Always good to have a backup.

lazycat93, Sartori, Duder and 2 others like this.
  17. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nah, you would have an amp that is continuously shutting down as impedance can change with frequency.

Rabidhamster likes this.
  18. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Why? Cab pairing is simple math. Maroons would still hook up 1 ohm loads to 2 ohm amps.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  19. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    In a situation when I'm owed money I always make sure I have their info. If they know you cannot find them they won't pay unless they are good peeps, which is uncommon in the music biz!

20. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Agreed, the more robust we design protection circuits, the more crazy faults the players throw at the amps. It's a struggle to stay ahead of "creative thinkers"! ;)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021