1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

gk 700rbII settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by andrewrepasky, Jan 24, 2012.

1. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Just curious on what settings some are using...im looking for the absolute most versatile tone possible....not sure if im liking my tech21 sansamp 3 channel programmable driver...

2. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    I actually really like how it sounds with the EQ itself flat. Boost in the middle, Tweeter down to about 9 o clock and contour and presence off. I typically play a Bongo through it and with the pickup blend Im able to get a surprising amount of different sounds without tinkering with the EQ too much and by plucking around different areas of the strings.

Oh and I'm running it through a Neo 212.

3. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I play through an ampeg 410hlf...I feel as if my low end is just overpowering on the low e string no matter what I do...is this more of a set up issue on my bass? The kind of strings im using? Or my amp? Im clueless

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I use different settings on my RB700II depending on the instrument, the cabs, the room, etc. That said... what settings are you using on your amp? What instrument: active/passive? What size room are you playing? Have you tried not using efx first to get your sound?

5. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Im using the ampeg svt 410hlf cab, ibanez soundgear srx 390(active) and the room varies. Out jam room is small, lots of phasing between guitar and bass...I think its like a 15x12 soundproofed room...the reason I am using pedals is because I was getting too much low end on the e string, and not enough throughout the rest of the strings. Essentially trying to even out the frequencies. I have a 10 band eq, tech21 sansamp, boss bass limiter/enhancer(that I haven't really gotten a feel for or use much at all), and a tuner . Maybe im using too much..but I like the fact that I can change my eq settings with the push of a button..we play many different styles...if it makes a difference, I use rotosound swing bass 45-105 strings

6. viper4000

viper4000

Aug 17, 2010
    Charlotte
    Try turning the bass down on the bass itself. I use the same amp/cab combination with an active Cirrus. I found I had to run the on board active eq at about half or cut the bass only to suite your taste. Volume maxed or pulled down a touch. The reason is that this cab is very bass heavy. I dial down the bass eq in the preamp. Also, this amp has a bass boost/treble boost that makes it interesting to dial in this cabinet. However, it can be done, and I am very happy with this set-up. I have to tweak it for every room I'm in. Sometimes I have dial the bass way out of it, intuitively this doesn't make sense as we play bass after all, but it does help fit into the mix and help the FOH final sound.

7. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Seriously. You've got a bunch of conflicting eq potentials. Take efx out of the loop... just straight amp into cab. Learn, get a feel for all the eq you have at your disposal between amp (substantial shaping available) and the preamp on your bass. When you've got that figured out, add efx one at a time. Not trying to be a jerk about this... just trying to give you the best advice I can.

That's a small room. If you folks are cranking it up, the sound is going to be a wild card. Also, if it's only the E string that's giving you grief, perhaps it's more of a setup issue... lower the pup on the E string side maybe?

8. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Ill mess around with it and see what I get...hopefully I find myself finally happy..any criticism is greatly appreciated..I like the fact that I can alter eq as I slap from time to time..so I really wanna integrate the tech 21

9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Ugh.. Tried the same amp with that cab. Horrible.
    It's your cab man, it's mid scooped and very very bass heavy.
    I couldn't really help out the tone much using this cab.
    Ampeg 810 was fantastic, and so is my GK NEO 412.
    A lot more rounded and versatile tone.

10. Rebmo

Rebmo

Aug 19, 2006
    Wisconsin
    +1 I'd go straight to the Amp. I use wireless straight to the 700rbII and use close to flat settings with a bit of contour and 5 string mode engaged. I boost the mid-low just a tad. I use speakers with a lot of head room that take a lot of the 700rbII power to drive. They are Hartke HyDrive 410/115 and are super clean and handle all the low end I can throw at them without sounding boomy. I play G&L L1Ks, P-basses, Stinrays, and some SB-1 SB-2 and L2000Es, and don't have to tinker with the amp EQ. Each bass sounds very true to the sound I expect from each. Any tinkering I do at the instrument volume & tone wise. The exception is when I need some growl I get that from adding boost on the 700. Great Amp, also the 1001rbII does a great job outdoors and provides tons of headroom. My preference is to keep effects out of the signal chain though, but that's just me. YRMBD

11. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX

Hmm...well the 810 is just a little much to be taking around to gigs...i like the 4 10 for that reason....the tone is really smooth...but like i said, the low end is just overpowering at times....but i think it may be due to my bass set up....i may try messing with the pup's and getting my bass set up professionally and restrung....i really don't wanna get rid of the amp just yet, unless i find someone who is getting rid of the GK NEO 412....i had previously though about upgrading to 4 12's..and i like what GK has to offer....gonna try one step at a time....first gonna start off taking the pedals away, adding one by one....messing with my graphic eq pedal....and set up the bass....i also have another bass i am working on...or i may end up with a new j bass...

12. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    The GK set with all tones at 12 o'clock has built in scoop to it. I have been using fdeck's BL600 flat settings (similar tone controls) which, to me, give a more open and airy sound.

Treble = 10 o'clock
    HiMid = 1 o'clock
    LoMid = 11 o'clock
    Bass = 9:30 o'clock

Be sure to check the tone knobs initially to be sure that their position markers all line up at the same angle when minimized or maximized; one of the knobs on my 1001RB II was installed slightly off.

Try starting from this "flat" point, you may need to EQ even further with your scooped cabinet.

=wr=

13. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
    Referring to 1001RBII's response graphs that are available here on TB (those graphs also show that actually the default eq curve is different from the BL600's one), i keep Bass 11 o'clock, Lo-mid and Hi-mid at 1 o'clock, Treble 12 o'clock. This way I'm cutting like 2 dB @ 60hz and the slight boost in the mids contribute to get a more linear response (except for the treble emphasis built in on GK heads, because personally I like that)
    However, I use the 5 string switch disengaged (I use a 4 string bass and I think that such low frequencies are only harmful for the speaker) and I use a bit of Presence (9 o'clock) to open the sound up a bit, as I use flatwound strings.
    That's the final result, using no cab (direct recording on guitar rig, no effects):
    Straight Eights Patitucci by ale29 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
    Please don't even listen to the terrible bass solo

14. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Would love to see a link to that thread if you have one handy!
    =wr=

15. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    the ampeg 810 sounds better because its a sealed cab...... I would recommend the GK MBE series... they are also sealed... The NEO cabs are a bit bass heavy and I think would be similiar to your 410HLF in that respect.

16. ale29

ale29

May 25, 2008
    Italy
  17. Are you kidding? That sounded great!
    Brent

18. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Looks like I need more hw..would I have been better with the cabinet without ports? I love the tone I get with the combo...minus the extra low end

19. worshiprocker

worshiprocker Tonepump Junkie

Aug 12, 2011
    Mesa, Arizona
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    its all preference, The cab you have is designed to have that huge low end. Its not a bad thing. have you cut back the output to the woofer? can you take a pic of your amp settings? I would think you could get the sound you are looking for with what you have.

Of course GK heads go well with GK cabs :)

20. andrewrepasky

andrewrepasky

Oct 30, 2009
    Houston, TX
    After doing more research..it sounds like most are saying that the GK head and ampeg cab don't play very well together...I wish I would have been on this forum before I made the purchase years ago...I've looked at the GK neo 412, and the 410mb model online...it looks as if id save some money or break even if I went with the GK 410 set up....anyone know what cabs compliment the gk700rbII best? I really wanna make my set up work, just exploring other options..