GK 800 RB + Avatar Cab ?'s

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by toddtodd, May 15, 2005.

1. so i have a 800rb and i am building my new rig around that.
    i just bought a avatar 2x10 8 ohms.
    now, should i get a 2x12, 1x15 or 1x12.
    also, should that cab be a 4 ohm so i can use the bi-amp feature of the 800rb and get 100 more watts out of the head.
    meaning use the 8 ohm 2x10 on the high output and 1 single cab at 4 ohm for the low output.

so should i get one of these (2x12, 1x15 or 1x12) at 4 ohms, or one of those at 8 and not use the bi-amp and just chain the (2) 8 ohm cabs together for 4 ohms..?

hope all that makes sense

2. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    Personally, I'd go with the 1x12/2x10 in full range mode.

I've never tried the 800RB, though, especially not with bi-amp. May be interesting to try out.
  3. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I'm not certain but isn't the bi-amp on those GK's designed to feed the tweeter only in the GK cabs and not a full range cab (actually I think can remember the manual for my old GK700RB expressedly stating NOT to run a full range cab from the bi-amp out or it might go BOOOM).

Personally I wouldn't want 100w of scratchy hiss pouring out of the somewhat nasty and nasal Avatar tweeters anyway...

I wouldn't worry about the bi-amping stuff and run another 2x12 8ohm so you get the full (main) grunt out of the amp... The Avatar cabs are great don't get me wrong, I love mine (although I have modded the xover).. just only run the xover at about 10% and its sweet...

and your rig will look big and tough like mine ;) (minus my rack and bass of course)...

ROCK ON!
  4. The 800RB has a traditional biamp system. Actually it is the first bass amp to have that feature.
  5. just wondering why a 2x12 and not a 1x12 or 1x15?
    dont the 15's go lower better than a 12?

6. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    I could use some more feedback on similar cab choices. I just won a Avatar B2x12 on ebay and I wonder how to use it once it arrives. I used my SWR 4x10 alone Friday nite, med size lounge. Then I used both my 4x10 & 1x15 cabs Sat nite, large biker bar, big, opened, garage doors behind stage. So I was wondering if the 2x12 I got coming will do as a stand alone this coming Friday lounge gig, then pair it up with which of my SWR cabs for again the biker bar gig in 2 weeks. Little help please and yeah back OT, my GK1001RBI, says to bi-amp with GK cabs only. Thanks for any tips you can offer.
  7. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    I guess it depends on the sound you're after.. the usual train of thought around here is (and YMMV of course)...

15's have a more vintage vibe which means deeper but lacking some definition. It moves slightly more air due to speaker size but for the same reason the cone moves slower and therefore its not quite as punchy and responsive..

2x12 still retains the bottom end (maybe slightly less) of a 15 but due to their smaller size they are quicker and punchier.

When I bought my 2x12's I just though I'd give it a go.. and I'm really happy with my sound... although I have never tried a 15 under my 210 (which i would like to at some stage)..

The only other 15 I've had dealings with was my Peavey TNT115 which was a sloppy as they get soundwise :rollno: i guess this influenced my decision...
  8. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    ive been running a GK 1001RB and avatar cabs ( 4x10 and 2x12 ) for some time now

its a mean rig,loud as hell.

personaly, i love the 2x12. great low end without the thumpy , dead sound (IMO) of a 15.

the 4x10 is punchy as hell to, so its a great rig for my style ( i like a very hi fi tone )

thats my 2 cents.
  9. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    I would go with a 4ohm 2X12 or 115 under your cab....less to carry and full power out of your amp!!

I used that head for over 15 years it works great in bi-amp mode..

Note: only the new models (700rb etc..) use the high end amp for the horns only.. and you have to use one of their cabs to make it work..which I think is a poor design
  10. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    take about 15 bucks and an hour of soldering, and you can modify your avatar to use bi-amp mode.
  11. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    mmmm 50w of Avatar tweeter... are you sure you wanna do that? :confused:

all the dogs in your neighbourhood are gonna be howling for you to stop.. :bag:
  12. Rat why is that a poor design? GK amps offer something that no one else does. You can still use the head with other cabs and get a full range signal or you can buy a GK cab and control the horn seperately. In comparison, the horn in GK cabs hardly ever blows. It does happen sometimes, but very low in comparison to other brands. And GK cabinet users will tell you that having that extra control of the horn makes a huge difference.
  13. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    considering if you run a full stack, like most people do with a 1001rb, 25 watts per tweeter MAX. not like anyone would run that much

personaly, i turn the tweeter off, they sound horrible in full room setting 99% of the time, but decent for recording.

IMO if you have a set of 10s somewere on your rig, thats more then enough hi-end sound.
  14. Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Maybe I don't like the design because I was so used to using my 800RB bi-amped powering 2-10" speakers for the highs and a 2X15 cab for the lows.. and I loved it

and people who don't have the correct GK cabs can't take advantage of the Bi-Amp capabilities of the amp with out modifing their cabs :bawl:

I don't really care for horns in my cabs rather have the high end coming out of smaller speakers...
  15. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Dan, any word on when the 210SBX II will be ready? I'm waiting on this cab before I make my final decision between GK or Avatar (head is going to be a 1001RBII either way).