gk 800 rb question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gfunk 121, Oct 3, 2004.

1. gfunk 121

gfunk 121

Apr 16, 2004
    i just bought one off of ebay, i have a 410 rbh cabinet with the horn, my question would be to my fellow gk users that am i gonna be able to use this head in bi-amp mode with this cabinet? i thinbk the gk 800 rb has 2 speakers connectors one for 100 watts and one for the 300 watts right? so even tho i have the 410 rbh cab i wont be able to use it unless i got an extension cab is that right? thanks for the help
  2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Congrats on your new amp, it's a great one.

The newer 800RBs have one jack for the 100 watt amp and two for the 300 watt amp. The original 800RBs had two for each amp but since the 100 watt amp's minimum load impedance is 8 ohms, and there aren't too many 16 ohm bass cabinets out there, GK dropped the extra jack. FWIW, the 300 watt amp can go down to 4 ohms (one 4 ohm cabinet or two 8 ohm cabinets).

The internal crossover for the 800RB, if I read the markings correctly on G-K's web site, has a maximum crossover frequency of 1KHz.

The newer G-K heads with the 50 watt tweeter amp (for the RBH series cabinets) have a fixed crossover frequency at 5KHz. This means that the tweeter in the RBH series cabinets doesn't want to see anything below 5 KHz.

Unfortunately, if you tried to biamp the 410RBH with the 800RB you'd probably burnout the tweeter.
  3. qed

Oct 2, 2004
    I've used GK 800 RB s for years. You can run one cabinet with it. I have a 2x10 and a 1x15. Sometimes I run both, and sometimes I just run either the 15 or 10's depending on the size of the room. It's a very versatile amp. I love mine, good luck with it.
  4. To use the biamp feature on the 800RB you will need a second cabinet. You can't run it with the horn management system built into the modern GK amps and cabs. You can, however set the switch on your RBH cab to full range and just plug it into the 300W amp. It's a very loud 300 watts so I think you'll be happy with it.