Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 800 RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spalka621, Feb 17, 2006.

1. spalka621

spalka621

Jul 26, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Anybody have one of these, and if so what do you think of it?

2. Emprov

Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I've had a few of them, absolute best bang for the buck head out there IMO. Loud, transparent and darn near bullet proof.

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    I have one and I LOVE IT... I've been saying "I have a mail order bride and she's 300 Watts of pure Bass guitar SEX!" lol. It's very very LOUD.
    To some people a big drawback is you have to play well. I've played some amps that will hide imperfections in your playing. This one will not it is very transparent just as Emprov said.
    Put this up with a nice 410 cab and you're set ;)

4. i love mine. absolutely a great amp. was my dads for 12 years and still works like a charm. very reliable, never let me down. great tone, very versatile, can get damn near any tone you want. but as previously stated, if you mess up, everyone will know. but still, 22 pounds of pure bass power!

5. Rat

Rat

Mar 15, 2005
    Boston Sewers
    Great Amp!! used mine over 15 years or regular gigging not one issue with it...

I regret to this day selling it..what was I thinking..

6. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think the entire RB series has one of the best front ends ever put on a bass amp.

I use a 200 RCB as a preamp into my QSC power amp and it's the best sounding preamp I own. The DI sounds great as well.

IMOHO

7. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    daniel elliot from gk claims that the 800RB is (gk's?) most requested head from the backline companies.

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I find the 800RB very very bright. I have to crank the treble way down.

That said, if I am given an 800RB to use I do not complain. It has a good solid clean sound, and that's all I ask for.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    They're requested because they're loud, reliable, and portable. I can guaruntee the top two are GK 800RB and an Ampeg SVT.

When Common came through here, I was working crew, started talking about gear with the Backline guy, and he was happy to hear I was playing GK, as that was all they offered because that's about 70% of the requests. I think they had an Eden head too but that was about it.

I'm using it's little brother the 400RB for now, but I guaruntee, I've used 800's in the past and will in the future.

10. Also the 800RB cuts through a mix. It can be in-your-face and downright aggressive with the Gain knob set at its sweet spot. I agree that it can be bright, but in general the 800 sounds good flat or close to flat, and the EQ is simple and voiced well. I sold mine last year after it experienced power amp issues, but I miss it.