1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 800rb: 8 ohm or 4 ohm 410 mbe ii stand alone cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ricky, Mar 28, 2013.

1. ricky

ricky

Apr 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    When choosing a 410 cab for a GK 800rb, would having a 4 ohm vs. 8 ohm 410 mbe ii make much difference?

I bought an 8 ohm, 800 watt 410 mbe ii cab, thinking that the ohms wouldn't make much difference given the 800rb's reputation for not lacking power.

Playing a show this weekend to hopefully answer this myself, but would returning the 8 ohm cab for the 4 ohm be worth the shipping cost?

Thanks for opinions on this.

2. BassKitty101

BassKitty101

Jun 28, 2012
    Oregon
    Endorsing Artist: Luna Guitars, Ashdown Engineering, Cactus Picks
    I like 8 ohm cabs personally. Always gives you the chance to get another for bigger shows and more speakers = more volume.

3. The amp probably does 400 or 500W on a heavy slam into 8 ohm so unlikely to gain much of any headroom before the 4 ohm would fart out anyway.

4. Energy

Energy

Jun 20, 2006
    Germany
    ^ This.

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I am not too familiar with the MBE cabs but I know I have and run a 1001 RB II through a Neo 410 and it gets plenty loud and I still have a lot of headroom. Those are 8 ohm cabs. Plus, as stated above, with an 8 ohm cab, theres more room to add another cab for bigger shows. You'd be bringing down the house with thunder!

6. Keep the 8 ohm cab. You'll be able to add another 8 ohm cab down the road should you wish to do so. Perhaps another 410 or a 212. Rock on!

7. nanookofnj

nanookofnj

Oct 21, 2010
    You're pushing 200 watts into the 8ohm cab vs. 300 watts into a 4 ohm cab with that head. I used to run a 4ohm 2x12 with my 800RB with great results.

8. RockDoc

RockDoc

Jan 5, 2007
    As others have suggested, the 8 ohm cab allows for more flexibility and choices. The 800RB can drive one single 4 ohm cab, or up to three 8 ohm cabs (two from the 300 watt output, one from the 100 watt output). If you need more volume, two 8 ohm 4X10s will go further than a single 4 ohm 4X10 cab (obviously assuming the cabs are similar or identical in terms of sensitivity etc.).

9. You wouldnt gain much (if even noticable) SPL switching to a 4 Ohm cab. You would gain a lot of SPL adding a second matching 410 should you need more volume.

10. ricky

ricky

Apr 23, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I don't think I'll ever be adding a second cab, so if it's not a noticeable difference in SPL, headroom, and overall performance, I guess I'll just stick with the 8 ohm.

A few years ago I pushed an Ashdown ABM 410 with a GK 700rb - with good results, and the Ashdown is an 8 ohm cab.

I'll crank it Friday and see how she does.

Thanks everyone!

Keep on bassin'