1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 800RB Amp Isolation Possible??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billinbrasil, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Would it be possible to tap into the 300 watt amp "post-preamp" and feed it directly with a sub-bass signal, while simultaneously using the 100 watt amp in the "conventional" manner??

I'm using a subbass synth device that has a kickass sound, but I'm afraid of those frequencies going into my 4x10 cabinet. The device has the ability to divide and send the sub-harmonics to a separate channel, so I'd like to take advantage of this feature.

TIA

2. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    What cab do you plan on putting the sub-bass into?

3. I haven’t got that far.....

Before I think about the cabinet, I’d like to understand my power options. I could go with a seperate amp for the subs, but that seems to be unecessarily costly and complex, given that the 300 watts of the GK are available.

4. So now I'm thinking that maybe the simplest solution is to run the 800RB in bi-amp mode. I tried that years ago through a Hartke 410 / 115 stack and didn't like the sound as well as full range. But at the time I didn´t have this sub-bass gizmo....

The beotch now is that I no longer have the 115 cab....o_O

I'm still open to ideias..

5. Kro

Kro Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    New Jersey
    If you go into the input vs. the return, odds are the preamp will still roll off most of those sub-bass frequencies.

I believe that going into the return would bypass that though, and the crossover comes in after the FX loop too.

Are you planning on running the effect in the loop? If so, you could probably send the full signal in and rely on the GK crossover controls to split between the hi and low amps from there.

Be prepared for the amp to expend lots of power on those lows, potentially getting into distortion relatively early, and for it to send out a signal that could potentially damage standard bass cabs (regardless of speaker size) with relative ease despite the medium-lowish wattage of the low amp by modern standards.

Have fun experimenting with it, but do so at your own risk.

6. Thanks for the reply. I've been doing some online research and I'm thinking that my best bet might be to just get a powered sub-bass cabinet. The prices are quite reasonable, for gobs of power. I would think that sound "quality" as it were, is not really a factor at these frequencies, as long as there is little distortion.

I'll look around some more and likely throw my entire rig in the car next week and go visit some sound equipment stores...

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021