1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

gk 800rb and ampeg 6x10 = incompatible?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inputoutput, Mar 11, 2008.

1. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    i just recently purchased a new ampeg 6x10 HLF to go along with a relatively new gk800rb..

the 6x10 is rated at 600 watts, and the gk output on the main head is 300w (i'm not currently using the 100w output at 8 ohms, but from what i can tell, this shouldn't be a problem).. while the cab and head are not perfectly matched, i figured that they should be compatible with no problems.

however, i have noticed that the clip light (or something akin to a clip light) tends to be activating whenever i play highs, or manipulate my delay pedal to start sending out runaway delays. this seems completely peculiar to me, given the power handling of the cab. unfortunately, i've had to alter my tone (which is typically quite treble-y, with a fair dose of gain, but still maintaining some low end) to compensate, and reduce the (supposed) clipping.

i don't want to exhaust the speakers, but also feel that the cab should be able to handle the output of the head..

anyone have experience with this? how did you resolve the issue?

thanks in advance!

2. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I currently run the exact same setup, and haven't had problems. However, it is possible to shred the speakers with only a 100 watt amp. When you juice up the amp as hot as it will go, it clips really hard and this is pretty harsh on the speakers. So, don't goose the hell out of the amp just because the cab handles 600 watts.

Since when did GK put clipping or limit LED's on the 800RB? Mine doesn't have one.

EDIT: And DON'T run the 100-watter to the 6x10. that's a 100% load mismatch and you'll let the smoke out of it after a minute or two.

3. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    no, i know enough not to connect the 100w head to the cab.. the cab is at 4ohms, and the head output is at 8ohms, so that's an obvious load mismatch.

gk doesn't have a clip indicator, but the ampeg cab seems to have a light that activates (from behind the speakers) whenever it runs too hot.

i should also mention that i'm using an old p-bass with dimarzio pickups, so the signal is hot, but not active.

4. I don't think the clip light has anything to do with the speaker. Usually a clip light is the sign of an overdriven preamp. If it is a limiter light, it indicates the amp is at the maximum output allowed by the internal limiter. Both have absolutly nothing to do with speakers.

In fact, no amp will have a led indicating the speakers are overdriven, it'll only be audible.

My guess is that you are using a bass with a pretty hot output and you have the gain set too high, that is if the led is a clip light. If it is a limit light. it simply means that your amp is putting out it's maximum allowed output, again nothing to do with the cab.

5. allanhearn

allanhearn

Apr 22, 2004
    The clip light in the 610 is for the tweeter. Turn down or off the tweeter and you'll be fine. I played the same rig for years

cheers

6. Ok that explains it, the light is not at all indicating your cab is run too hot. It is the tweeter protection system, when there is a current overflow in the tweeter, the light bulb lights up.

I don't know if it is your case, but some people tend to forget that an amp with a tweeter uses a crossover, in the case of the 610hlf, every frequency above 5 khz is sent to the tweeter, so if you have it off, and have the treble cranked, it has little effect on your tone but sends a massive amount of signal to your tweeter.

So back off on the treble and use your tweeter for high end.

7. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    +1 Make sure the L-Pad is set to as little attenuation as possible.

8. As said, to get the desired amount of treble, either turn down the treble on your amp, and let the tweeter do the work, or turn the sweet off and boost the treble on your amp.

9. Does the gk 800rb sound good through the ampeg 6x10? Just curious..

10. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Yes! For some reason, I think the 800RB sounds way better through Ampeg cabs than GK cabs.

11. inputoutput

inputoutput

Oct 4, 2005
    thanks so much for all of the help, i really appreciate it.

in any case, yes, otherwise, the gk/ampeg combination is really great. i prefer very mid- and brights, but with the ability to put out low 50 Hz tones as well, and this set up works decently well.

12. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    A 100w amp will not blow up a 600w cab by sending the amp into clipping. The only thing that blows speakers is turning the amp up louder than the speakers can handle. Clipping has zero to do with it, and I'm shocked that people still try to claim that after the many times this myth has been debunked.

13. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    the 800rb head doesn't have a clip light?

if you see your cabinet lighting up it is the tweeter. there is a light bulb attached to some tweeters. if lighting up, that usually isn't good thing, and too much power may be going to the tweeter. that tweeter only takes sounds above 5khz, but it's handling should only be under 100watts? so if you stay with that cab, you may have to turn down the tweeter or high end from your head.

in my opinion (i own a GK 800rb) the 800rb sounds good with non tweeter cabs. the high boost and mid scoop buttons seem to add hiss/noise into tweeter cabs if used. i think the 800rb is voiced for darker cabs. the 800rb really shines into ampeg 810s or other non-tweeter 810s/2x15s, etc. which i would assume would be the cabs that were more prevelant when the amp was designed in the 80s.

my suggestion (if you like the 800rb's sound and want to stay bright tonewise) is to get a tweeterless cabinet (where the top range is about 3kHz). and then turn the high end up. classic 800rb tone.

the 1001rb is better in conguntion with a tweeter cab and hi-fi sound, especailly if that cab is manufactured or made into a "horn management cab" 4 conducter speak-on.

i had an ampeg 610hlf briefly and for some reason my basses and my 1001rbII head together freaked the 610 out everytime i played the note D. don't know why.

-although called 'underpowering' which is an incorrect term (or all cabs would blow up if we put the volume on 1%), an amp being worked too hard can send a square wave to a speaker and that's what can heat up voice coils and cause problems.

14. MOTTOB

MOTTOB

Jun 30, 2007
    Syracuse
    Endorsing Artist: Air Bass Customs
    Slightly off topic, but....

I run the GK 1001RB-II into the Ampeg 610 and if kicks major butt? Great sounding rig IMO

15. origami

origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    different stokes...

i am not really knocking the 1001rbII + 610hlf combination, but because of the 610hlf cabinet i would have to EQ around the way it sounded on stage, and thus send a tone i didn't dig as much to the board. i like to have what i hear on stage to be near what i send to the board. the 610hlf was a very colored cab. so basically i would have to send a less bassy tone out the DI, because the cab was very boomy, and the 2 middle speakers would fart out when pushed. maybe i got a bum one?

the 610hlf has boomy bottom two speakers (ported), different 'ohmage' of the middle two speakers (this has to be done to make the cab 4 ohms). the middle speakers tended to fart out, and the mixture of a sealed 210 (top two speakers) and a ported 210 (bottom 2 speakers) wasn't for me. i wish they would of made the cab sealed and tweeterless, and 6 ohms, then it would be like a smaller fridge in every way but 6 speakers instead of 8. the 410hlf is a better design if goign the ported cab route.

i love ampeg fridges and 15s, but my 1001rbII loves my neo 212's much more.

16. Pretty sure that all 6 speakers on the 610HLF are ported. It doesn't mix and match.

What you say about the impedance could be correct, though, I'm not sure - I'm assuming they use mixtures of series and parallel wiring to get it to 4 ohms, and maybe 4 ohms is fudged a little :p

17. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I use an 800RB at rehearsal into an Ampeg 810.
    Sounds great