Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 800RB bi-amping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by juicemaster, Jan 17, 2005.

1. juicemaster

juicemaster

Jan 17, 2005
    Hello, apologies in advance as I'm sure this has been asked before, but I DID search before posting, I promise.

I own a GK 800RB and have been running an old 8 ohm EV 15'' through it. Recently the cab died, and while I wait for it to be fixed I've been looking for something else to play through, but that can also be used with the EV when it is revived.

I'm looking at a second-hand Trace Elliot 1048H 4x10 Cab, at 4ohms.

Presuming then, that my setup (for larger shows) would be the 4x10 through the 4ohm output (300 watts RMS), and the 15 through the 8ohm output (100 watts RMS), my question is this:

Is this totally the wrong way round? Should the lower speaker be going through the more powerful (low) output? Should I start over and get a 4 ohm 15" cab? Is this the dumbest question ever?

Thanks for your patience.

juice

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Well, theoretically, you'd get a 4 ohm 15" and an 8 ohm 10" cab to get maximum power out of the GK. But actually I think the best way to go is to get both cabs in 8 ohm configuration so you can bi-amp or run full range, whichever sounds best to you. This is what I did for many, many years, but I usually ran both cabs from the 300w amp full-range because it sounded better to me. YMMV

Alan