1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 800RB coupled with Sunn 410H?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nornsvissegnade, May 12, 2011.

1. I've borrowed gear for a bit now and I'm finally able to afford my own rig again. I recently acquired an 800RB (300w) and I've been searching for a cab. I'm going to look at a used Sunn 410H (8ohms - 300w) and I'm trying to figure out if this is a decent setup for now (I don't have a ton of money to work with right now ::$200-300:: as I'm working off a hospital bill and the place I work had it's funding cut recently). I've read plenty of conflicting input on the 4ohms vs 2 8ohms front and I'm wondering if it just comes down to personal preference in the end (I understand that this also depends on the speaker setup ie 2x12 1x15 2x10 etc etc).

I'll be playing ambient music and in a group that is more or less post-punk/hardcore. The guitarist in both plays through a Music Man HD one thirty (tube) with a Sunn 6x10 (not sure on the wattage, but it can get pretty dang loud).

If you've played out of a similar rig or have any advice to dole out about the setup I'm looking at, please help me out.

2. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    That will definitely be a great rig, especially for the genre, but idk if it will keep up with the guitarist. Those HD130's are ridiculously loud

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    yes. That will make loud bass noise. I don't know how that cab will sound (I have no idea how newer Sunn gear sounds...

But if you're doing the "Ambient" thing and just want a big-thick bass tone, this should do ya fine.

4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    I would only buy 8ohm 410 cabs simply because its expandable. With 4 ohm cabs you are stuck unless your amp can handle a 2ohm load

5. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I'm an "8 ohm cab evangelist" for that very reason. The difference in volume output between an 8ohm and 4ohm cab is comparatively small when you consider how limiting running a 4ohm cab with a 4 ohm max-load head is... (and yes, the 800RB is a 4ohm max load head, as I recall).

6. moreskacore

moreskacore

Jun 4, 2011
    Dude, I play very similar genres as a bass player in my band. I have the exact same rig, and I've got to say, that GK 800RB definitely functions as the effective brain of my Sunn 410H brawn! I bought both used, and I've got to say, you could barely tell the difference! (soundwise, at least - they aren't much to look at, after the spilled cup of water all over the head, dropping both of them down a full flight of stairs, ie. Still sounds brand new!). As far as the details of the sound goes, you can change around the sound from jazzy/bluesy to 100% punk! As a fellow punk/hardcore bassist, I recommend cranking those highs up, along with the treble, with your high mids up about 5/10 up and the treble a good 3/10. Keep your bass about a quarter of the way up, and your low mids about the same. As for the volume, I've NEVER had to crank anything past the halfway mark, and that includes gigs and those good ol' fashioned hardcore jams! I can't even tell you how it MIGHT sound on full blast - I've never gotten close! Go for it, man, you won't be disappointed!

P.S. I've got the poopiest Ibanez starter bass, and this rig makes it sound like a brand new Warwick or Music Man!

7. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    One of the main reasons I've been using the same GK 800 head for years and years, (besides it's reliability), is it's ability to sound great with every cab I've ever paired it to.
    I'm betting it'll be great with Sunn cabs.
    With a single 8 ohm cab you'll get 200 watts.
    With your guitarist large/loud rig you may find you'll have to have another 8 ohm cabinet to get the 800's full 300 watts to compete with his volume.

Over the years my favorite cabinet pairings with my GK 800 has been a 4 ohm SWR Senior 610 cab,or a 4 ohm Ampeg SVT 810 cab, a Acoustic 301 cabinet, or Two 8 ohm Avatar 210 cabinets stacked as a vertical 410.