Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 800RB enough power???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, May 3, 2004.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm looking at putting together a small rig for my URB, and I'm looking at getting a GK 800RB with either a pair of Avatar 1x12's or a pair or Acme 1x10's. WIlling the GK have enough power to run either of these pair of speakers for smal to medium gigs?

2. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    You'd probably do fine with the pair of Avatar cabs...but the rig would likely fall short with the Acme cabs. That of course depends on your gig venues and volumes...i.e. if it's only small jazz gigs, you could probably use the Acmes.

3. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    I recently bought a EA iamp 500 + Wizzy cab. Best rig i ever used with my upright, light(42 pounds) , excellent hi-fi tone , the iamp gives you 500 w both @ 2 or 4 ohms, the tone shapping gives you all the sound possibilities you may want, from a fat tube sound to a more clicky sound.. The Wizzy are amazing cabs, you just wont believe the amount of sound which come from these little beasts.
    Super tight sounding cabs, great low end and sweet highs. give it a try Greaser, this rig is small but sounds amazing, im glad i sold my GK, night and day....

NUNO

4. What kind of music are you doing? Unless you're playing psychobilly music, 300 watts for a URB is a lot. Even then, The 800RB has worked great for punk and rock bassists for years. If you think you need more power, you can get the 1001RB-II (700 watts) for the same price. Or if you want smaller, the new MB150 head is now shipping. Charlie Haden, Roscoe Beck, Ron Carter, Robert Hurst, Dave Holland, and many others use the MB150 for upright.

5. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    well I'm in a ska/reggae band....I have a bigger rig for my bass guitar, but my head doesn't sound any good with the upright, and I am looking into a cheap way for the upright rig

6. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    cheap and smal with the best possible sound

7. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I'd get the 1001RB-II. More power, less weight than the 800RB.

8. The 700RB-II does 480 watts and is a couple hundred less than the 1001 and the 800rb. Only weighs 16 pounds. Necromantix are using the 1001RB-II.