GK 800rb Growl!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tat2d_13, Sep 2, 2004.

1. tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    I was just wondering if theres any fellow 800rb users that would like to share there amp settings to get that classic gk growl?Thanks in advance.
  2. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    To be honest, I'm wondering the same thing. I'm using an Essex P and an Eden210T with my 800rb. Things get way better when I add my Nahas 15 to the mix, but overall the growl just isn't there for me yet.
  3. i just started doing something a little different with mine and it sounds pretty cool. I'm not sure if it's the "growl" you're looking for, but i dropped the treble, boosted the mids and bass and cranked the boost knob and it sounds killer.. kinda growls a bit.. try it out and see.. if that doesn't work, slowly bring up the treble (as you are already boosting the other frequencies so a little should work)...
  4. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    are GK's known for a "growl" sound? Ive always thought they were very clean and a bit sterile sounding.
  5. I always went the other way and used the contour switch (the smiley contour) and dropped the upper mids a bunch.

It's been a while though...
  6. Think of something like GnR's "You Could Be Mine."
  7. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Didn't Duff use a guitar amp as well to add the 'grind'?
  8. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Check out the GK settings on my signature link to the classifieds. I got a MEAN growl with that and an American ash Jazz. ;) Tony Kanal has his mids dead even, bass and treble all the way up, but he didn't mention his voicing buttons.
  9. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I can't find the settings you're talking about?
  10. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    is duff using a 800rb?
  11. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Growl is enhanced by the amp but comes from your bass and technique.
    roll off the highs on your bass
    favor the bridge pickup and play on top of it
    the GK will help sedt like this:
    lo mid: 6
    hi mid: 7
    boost: 1:00
    voicing filters off
    volume set as high as you can go without nasty distortion
  12. Ditto w/ my 700RB.
  13. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Maybe we don't define "growl" the same way. I might be completely misguided on the term. To me "growl" means lots of mids. The GK (without the contour on) is one of the growlier amps out there for me. Seems like most amps out there now cut the mids one way or another. What does growl mean to you?

I like the smiley contour for adding bottom and top but can't see getting much growl that way without *boosting* the hi-mids. Using the contour and cutting the hi-mids make it difficult to hear myself fingerstyle but sound good for slap.
  14. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Sorry about that I sold it a a couple weeks ago, the link was there when I posted though....here it is, then you know, just adjust the master volume to however loud you want to play. I had my neck volume about 90-95% up, bridge about 50-60%, tone no more than 30%. New strings and the level of aggressiveness in your fingers while playing also have a lot to do with the almighty growl.