Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 800RB Power Requirements... 240v to 115....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Well my 800RB finally arrived, and I must say she is a beautie at frist sight, clean pots, great cleen look about it; I cant wait to fire it up. However I have run into a stumbling block...

After contacting Gallien Krueger it seems I cant get a straight answer, on just what the 800RB requires interms of power consumtion. I know it requires 115vAC , that bit is clear, but how many watts and ampage would the step down transformer need to be able to push out for the amp to run flawlessly?

Now this doesnt make all that much sense to me, as the amp has a "125v 8A" fuse, and on the back above the power socket, says "120v 60HZ 8A". Also I have never seen a 240vAC to 115vAC step down transformer rated above 8A. I have also notice, amps generally require more wattage than that of their output.

Can some shed some light on this? Have I been given the wrong information? What can I use and what will be safe? I was thinknig a 500w @ 8A transformer would be a good start, but I dont want to fry my new amp... It would be imposable to get parts for here...

2. I'm not going to pretend that I understand any of this, but I asked one of our engineers about it and he said that a 500W 8A transformer would be fine.

Your answer came from one of our engineers who think of everything in terms of numbers. He wouldn't necessarily know what is available on the market. He's just telling you what the math says.

3. im glad my amp made it.
    well i guess its your amp now

:crying:

bye bye 800rb

:(

4. Thanx Guys for the help- That makes it much more clear...

Todd, yeah she's here- wow it's big; build like A tank, I cant wait to fire her up this afternoon :) I will let you know how it goes.

5. Thank you very much for your help Daniel- I was in no way implying that I was given the wrong info- it just seem conflicting.

I wont say I have been a long time GK user, but I sure am a GK tone lover- it started with my 400RB III, now this once I fire this baby up... Hopefully it lasts another 18years. Dated 3 - 87. I'm stuck on GK forever...