1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 800rb settings, please share yours!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dan T., Mar 30, 2006.

1. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Hi there,

Just bought a GK 800rb off another tb'er and I'm about to go give it the first test run! I'm curious as to where to start or some sample settings from you guys so I know where to start! I'm going to try and bunch of different cabinet configurations including Mesa 215, Eden 410xlt, 2 Ampeg 410's, and Ampeg 810. I'm also going to be pairing this with my sansamp rbi. I play pretty hard/punk and I'm looking for good tones in that area.

Thanks for any help you guys have! - Dan T.

2. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    ouch... nobody?

3. I've always started with EQ set flat and adjust to taste from there. It will sound different with each cab configuration.
    If you biamp, try adjusting the independent output levels before applying any drastic EQ. Get the sound as close as possible to your liking then use the tone knobs as needed.

I've also always liked the sound with the mid contour button "In" regardless of cabs or musical styles. Also the Sansamp will give you more flexibility for tone.

Great amp! Heres my testimonial to the reliability of my 19 year old 800RB.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220871

Good Luck........E

4. These settings give me a nice gritty grind that's great for hard rock or punk:

100% boost, and never ever use the mid contour button...the volume is about halfway, or a little more, and use the master to adjust actual volume..

Hi-Mid slightly boosted 1 o'clock

Lo-Mid slightly attenuated 11 o'clock

Bass - around 12 o'clock

Treble - past two

I always use the bright switch, and boost treble a bit too... I adjust bass to thicken or thin the overall sound, depending on what volume I'm playing at, or the room's acoustics

Bass - Ric 4003

5. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    thanks guys! eric continued good luck and speedy recovery due to all things katrina related... your story about your gk 800rb is crazy!

any other fellow gk'ers feel free to chime in!

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I sold mine over a year ago, but I always had the mid contour button in. I laid off using too much treble or biamping for that matter due to hiss. I had a Peavey 1516 at the time, which seemed a good match for biamping with this head but I could distort the speakers if pushed too hard. Maybe I'd have kept it had I tried better cabs.

7. You just reminded me, I had a 1516 cab for a while, loaded with a JBL E140. I was forced to biamp because the cabs internal crossover went bad.
    Good cabinet concept and sounded good with a JBL. I just couldn't feel good about myself gigging with a Peavey. How's that for musical snobbery??

Funny thing about that "Mid" button; To me it always seemed to clarify the sound and give it more fidelity.

8. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    I was glad to get rid of the Peavey. Hartke makes a similar cab for about $300 or so. I was also having problems with my 800rb, which was why I sold it. I fixed it 1st, (I think)

9. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    well so i went and tried it out last night, and i think i have just more question...

so just that i'm sure i'm running this amp correctly. if i am using my ampeg 810, i want to use one of the 4 ohm outputs and have the button next to it in the out (full range) position, correct? thanks....

10. woof*

woof*

Feb 3, 2006
    yes! button out for full range!
    :)

11. Dan T.

Dan T.

May 9, 2005
    Minneapolis
    haha, i was jsut about to email you, i was pretty sure i had it figured out the right way. i just wasn't sure if since i was running just the one 4 ohm cab if that meant i had to run it in the biamp mode, but i figured pretty much right away my first asumption was correct because it definitely didn't sound right with the button pushed in for bi-amp mode.

really the amp is great and jsut what i've been looking for, thanks again! woof* is a solid tb'er!!!!

12. Put the boost at 100%? That sounds crazy but I'll have to try it. Here's what I do: Mid contour button in as others have said, Treble at 12 O'Clock, Hi Mid at 3:00 O'Clock, Lo Mid at 12:00 O'Clock and Bass at 3:00 O'Clock. I've tried Bi-amping but like full range better (biamp button out). I've used the 300 watt amp for my 8 ohm Hartke 4.5 XL cab and the 100 watt amp for my EV B-210 8 ohm cab. Ultimately I opted for both cabs being powered by the 300 watt amp sending a full 300 watts into a 4 ohm load, so my 300 watt amp control is on full and my 100 watt amp control is completely off. It just sounded cleaner and fuller to me that way. I've played with the boost and have liked some settings but in the end have left it off completely because of some breakup or slight distortion using it. I think some guys may like it but I'm old school and love clean, punchy definition. Lastly, I leave the -10db input button out even though I'm playing a double H Musicman Bongo (hot signal), it just sounds punchier to me that way. The master volume control can be anywhere from 9:00 O'Clock to 12:00 O'Clock depending on the room we're playing.

13. funkbass

funkbass

Dec 9, 2004
    Breat amp!
    Punch in center button,cut treble to 11:00,boost the rest to 1:00.
    Do not bi-amp!! You get the most punch out at full range!
    Hookup 1 cab either ( 8 ohm or 4 ohm )or 2 = (8 ohm) cabs for 300w.
    thanks...........

14. no buttons
    boost noon
    all EQ noon cept low bass 3 oclock.
    adjust gain/output to taste

-todd

15. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    Contour button in, master full, boost 12 o'clock, all tone controls start at 12 o'clock and add or back off as needed by bass and cabinet(s) used and room acoustics. Don't like biamping, if using 2 8 ohm cabinets give them the 300 watts.

Wally

16. LeftyJack

LeftyJack

Feb 23, 2006
    San Carlos, CA
    I'm also in the same boat! I just picked up a new 800RB and 210SBX-II and it was taking forever to get close to a sound that I (and my better half) dug. With the help of everyone here, it's alot easier to experiment with different settings but still be able to have a baseline and record of everything I've done. You TB'ers rock.:D Thanks!

17. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have used my 800RB in many gigs, jamspaces, small rooms with many different cab combonations and the bottom line is regarding the mid scoop switch is this:

Pushing in the mid scoop switch makes the rig sound more "hi fi" and may seem very pleasing at first. But you are scooping out all the meat and potatoes of your tone and will not cut thru a loud band situation as well.

I had that switch pushed in for years and never knew what I was missing. The first time I left it out, my fretless came alive and growled like never beofre, my fretted 5 string cut thru like a mofo and my drummer could not believe the difference as he could hear me so much better.

So be heard and don't scoop!!!! :)

18. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    Great amp, but I'll be contact GK regarding mine. Took it over to a "studio" (one of those 'in house' studios....) and the guy's electrical blew it. Never could get it to work after running the DI into his mixer. Plugged it in 3 times and it threw his breakers every time. Amp now will only give out enough wattage to barely hear my basses through it.....sigh...

But as far as settings go...

I always started with EQ flat, no buttons, no bi-amping, boost around 12 o'clock. I would boost the low mids or highs as needed. Gave me a good full rock tone.

19. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Volume up pretty high, 3:00

Mid Contour

Treble 11:00
    High Mids Noon
    Low Mids 1:00
    Bass Noon-2:00 Depending on Room

No Boost

300 Watt Master Volume as needed.

This is into my 4 ohm GK 210T. Not as much bass and low mids needed into my Neox212.

20. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have my mid scoop button pushed in, all 4 eq knobs set at 12 o'clock, and the crossover set at 10-11 o'clock.