Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 800RB users -- Cabinet Choices?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cúl-Báire, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Well, Yes I know there was a post about the 400RB III and the best cabinet to use... Thats actually my 400RB the guy is buing . Anyways I have an 800RB arriving soon- end of next week with a bit of luck :) and I was just wondering what would be a good idea for some cabinets for the beast.

Unfortunatly cabinets here in Australia are way to expencive- The cheapest "quality" cabinets start around $1500 retail upto god knows how much... So I was looking at building my own cabinets- it looks easy enough, even after diving into all the theory.

I was thinking of building a 4ohm 2x12" cabinet to run off the low channel and get full 300w power and perhaps an 8ohm 2x8" to run off the high channel if i need to. I already have one 12" driver that I plan on using. I'm just looking for options as to where I should go...

4x10": look nice- and I can make one a wee bit bigger than the 212" with a good Frequency responce- they are quiet heavy though, and may not make a good stand alone cabinet, and may push the amps 300w a little too far in terms of headroom- or lack there of....

2x12": This seems ideal, the 4ohm cabinet means about 150w per speaker, which to me seems like enough to let it speak it's voice clearly and have some decent volume. I never really liked 12"s until trying 10"s, the 12's go low- but still quick.

1x15": 15"s to my ears always sound boomy- OK there are some good ones buit I just dont like how they sound, soung good under a 410, but I think thats abit excessive in my case...

Combination of the above: I have considered using a 1x12 udner a 41x0 for abit more low end, and I could use the 112 for smaller gigs. But the amp isnt big enough to feed it in my opinion (others may say otherwise). Similar story with 112 + 210 combination I have been bouncing around in my head; More frequency responce, as in a wider range, but less power going to the 12"- and that also leaves the hi channel inactive.

I mainly play anything- I probably sway towards rockish in my playing, but am doing some country / blues type gigs real soon- smallish to small / medium size venues. And I like old school tone, not thumpish but well... Practical protability desired- if the cab is bigish it will have tilt wheels on the back (to move like a hand truck).

Any ideas what I should go for or at least consider abit more? What do you 800RB users hook upto? Pictures would be cool too ;)

Thanx
    -Cul

2. I heard a guy playing(4 string MM Stingray)in an awful country trio w/a GK 800 through 2 1x15 Bag End cabs. I was very impressed w/the clarity & volume both near & far from the stage. Big, thick & clear- not boomy.

3. Anyone Else...?

I know there is alot of 800RB users hiding out there some where.

4. I'll bite, having owned a 800RB and a 1001RB-II.
    In my opinion these amps really shine through quad boxes. I have tried the 800RB through all types of high end cabs and believe it or not my favourite cab was an old Carvin quad box.

Being an aussie myself I can understand you looking at building your own cab because of cost. If your just new at this I would look at trying out all other options before building your own. Could turn out to be more expensive than what its worth!

At one stage, Venue music and Pro Audio where making their own cabinets - I think they had eminence speakers. A high powered quad box ran at about $700 AUD I think. You would be hard pressed to make a cab like that for that money. From all reports they where high powered respectable boxes. I think something like that would sound great with the GK. Maybe you should give those guys a call and see if they still make them.
    Second hand is always a great option as well.

By the way Cúl-Báire, I ended up selling my 1001RB-II. :hyper:

5. Thanx for the help Scotty, good to hear you sold your 1001RB, did you get what you wanted for it?

I was looknig at building my own cabinet- yes because it's cheaper, and because I like the idea of being able to get what I want out of a cabinet- Basicly it started as I was after a 212 like the Avatar, but without the $2100 or so price tag that the likes of 212's available in Australia bring (think Aguilar, Eden etc...).

I am good with tools, and wood working to a pretty good degree, and I have a fair understanding of what the cab has to do, the way it has to be built the size, parts requirements etc... I also like the idea of 212"s, being able to go deeper than a 410"...

I have been looking into importing an Eden XST or SWR Goliath 410, both come with cat fir though :rolleyes: I'm after Ampeg or Ashdown style tolex/leather without the Ampeg crap senisitivity levels.

6. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    Ok... I like 15" cabs with mine. Lately I've been using a Mesa cab with the old faithful EVM15L in it. It grunts nicely when driven hard.

The 800rb is quite midrangy. I used to have an Eden cab that was mid-heavy too. The combination was nothing but barky midrange.

Don't rule out Ampegs either. The 800rb sounds great with the SVT810 fridge cab. The sealed 410HE sounds about the same with less weight to carry around.

I like a dirty rock sound. If your after more of a hi-fi sound you might want to look for some other cabs.

7. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    i think the 800RB is 8 ohms.....so your cabs have to be 8 too.

i run an 800RB with a GK 1x15 RBH, and a LDS 2x10. it sounds good. 1x15 for the bottom, 2x10s for the highs, 2x10s for practice and small gigs, 1x15 for medium small gigs, and both cabs for the medium to bigger gigs.

8. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    Gotta agree with this. 800rb + ampeg = kick ass. Try a 610, or 810. I find the 610 sounds a bit better than the 810, a little more mid range and clarity.

9. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I think the 800RB would sound fine with just about anything. It's clean, reliable and versital, but it isn't picky. I've driven all manner of speakers with it. In college I actually used it w/ the crossover as a sub for our hi-fi system in our dorm room!!

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    The 4x10, rear ported GK cab and 800 head is sort of a classic setup. Personally I am not high on 4x10's. They sound OK close up and mostly like crap off axis or farther away. It seems 4x10's provide a very uneven frequency response the farther away you get from the cab.

If I were in your shoes, if you can live without HUGE volume, I'd be doing a pair of 8 ohm 1x12's for the portability / flexability. As I'm a 4 string, more or less old school guy, I prefer the 1x15 and 2x10 route, provided that it is a JBL 140/145 or vintage EV15 ...

I never found the 800 to be overly mid-rangey. To my ear it does pretty much what ever you tell it to do via the EQ. There is a GK 'familial' tone. It's clear and up front and punchy. The GK pre let's the other components in your rig shine through so if your cab is mid rangey or your bass is, you'll hear that for sure...

11. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Gotta agree with 4mal. 4/10 boxes sound different depending on where you are in the room. I spent some time moving around listening to a friend of mine play and while I won't say it sounded neccessarily bad anywhere, the volume in different parts of the room was uneven. It looks like Bill Fitzmaurice is right about 4/10 boxes: placing speakers side by side doesn't work well.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    A techie speaker designer tried to explain this to me. Something about each of the 10's producing a 'lobe' shaped area of full frequency response and when you place two drivers side by side you end up with three lobes and two pairs of pairs of drivers creates 9 lobes which makes a sound man's life hell ... for the most part the explaination went over my head like a 757 passing a Piper Cub ... Having been one, I did get the part about the poor sound guy though ... far as the sound guy in me is concerned the best bass rig ever is a good in-ear monitor ... thank god I don't do that anymore, my rig wouldn't forgive me.

13. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I've had my 800RB since 89. Here's the cabs I've gone through with it:
    1. a used Peavey with 2-10" and 1-18". I got it b/c it was all I could afford with the new 800RB at the time. I hated the tone, and have never cared for the biamp feature. The 18" blew up on the road, and I gave it to our opening bands bass player in Jackson MS.
    2. Homemade 2-12" with Carvin speakers. We built this cab as an emergency holdover cab when the Peavey bit it b/c we had two extra Carvin 12" PA spkrs left over from a PA project. It actually sounded pretty darn good, and I used it for about a year!
    3. Eden D410T. Still have it, and it sounded excellent with the GK. Nice full tone with good clarity and growl. Still have it as my practice room cab!
    4. Ampeg BSE410HLF. Never cared for this. It had fuller lows than the Eden, but the high end did not cut through at all. The horn was unusable,especially with active basses.

I think a good 4-10" or 2-12" cab that is 4 ohms would do you nicely. You could add a 2-10" on top if you want a little extra or for bigger gigs.

14. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith

Sep 9, 2001
    This is the direction I would take in a heartbeat. :bassist:

15. your amp is on the way man

16. Thanx for all your help guys. To those suggesting a fridge, or even a 610", it's sooooo not happening, that is way to big to move myself, especially since the likes of Ampeg 410cabs are 100lbs :eyebrow: Also the cabinet would only be used with small / mid sided gigs, way over kill- I mean I gotta give my guitarist some time to catch up :rolleyes:

To those suggesting a 2x12" or 2x 112"s I probably more agree with you guys, to me it seems a more obvious choice, rather compact to a degree, a fair bit lighter than a 410", and will go a fair bit lower too- I can always use a 210" up top on the high chanel (in fullrange for some extra volume if needed :)

I am getting some really good figures on a 212" I am planing on building on the moment. Good frequency responce, and a decent size- it should pump out sizeable volume also- I am curently use a piece of crap 210 and that is loud enough.

Just for refference sake, I play though an Fender American Jazz, and looknig at getting a juicy Fender P-Bass also.

4Mal: I'm also a more old school 4stringer- only been playing over a year, but I prefer the more traditional likes of 4 strings as opposed to 5'ers, Easier on my l hand too... I messed up my wrist really badly before taking up bass, so I can only play whats comfortable.

Todd: Awesome stuff man- I will send an email. Hows the Sun head treating you?

Thanx alot guys
    -A