gk 800rb vs. 1001rb II

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by big evil robot, Apr 22, 2005.

1. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    I know my ears are telling me that I like the tone of the 800 better, but I keep thinking the extra headroom of the 1001 might work out better for the future.

Someone throw a tie breaker at me here. :confused:
  2. I own a 1001RBII and owned a 800RB about 6 years ago. I obviously can't do a side by side comparison but can only go off my memory.
    No doubt about it - the 800rb is a great head - a clasic. The 1001 can get pretty close to the sound of the 800rb.
    For me - there is no contest. The extra features (tuner mute, variable di etc.) as well as so much more head room, make the 1001RBII a clear winner for me. It is an awsome amp.

3. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Having played an 800rb for nearly 10 years, a 1001rb for a couple of years, and currently playing an 1001rb II, I can provide some short commentary on this subject which has been covered in a number of threads here.

The 800rb is an excellent amp that sounds like a very good "solid state" amp. The 1001rb II is also an excellent amp, but to my ears, has an extended bass and treble tonal range as compared to the 800. For a solid state amp, the 1001rb II can be said to have a somewhat warm tone. While it's no SVT, you can indeed bring out some warm mids and lows, and even some growl depending on how you run the preamp volume and the boost control. Finally, if you really want to, you can run the tone controls on an 1001rb II so that it's sounds like an 800rb. The 700 watts of headroom is also very nice!

Try a search using both amp model names and you'll find many threads decribing the respective amps' tone and headroom. The 800rb is indeed still very popular, that's why GK still makes them.

:eyebrow: :D :eyebrow:
  4. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    What he said. And the fact the when you run the contour knob/control flat you supposedly get a 800RB sound. (I always thought GK should use a rotary pot instead of presets on that contour control, and they did!) Works great. No hesitation from my camp, GK1001RB no brainer.