Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 800RB vs. GK 700RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mesa Man, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Well back again after a while away..

Ok, my question is fairly simple, is there anything that is superior (and useful) in the GK 700rb.. or should I get me a used GK 800Rb instead?:confused: Will those extra 80 watts make any difference?

Thanks for any input you might come up with.

2. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I have an 800rb and a 1001rb. The 1001rb has the same preamp as the 700rb, but has a little more power. Having been an 800rb user for about 12 years, I was really interested in the tonal differences between the two.

I A/Bed the two amps and found that the 1001rb has a bit more of a Hi-Fi tone - nothing like a Demeter and a $2000 power amp, but it was noticably different than the 800rb. Specifically, I noticed a smoother low-end and high-end which seem to extend past the frequency response of the 800rb. A fuller tone with more refined highs. When I asked a GK tech about this, he said that the 1001rb and the 700rb have the same preamp and that it had been redesigned and was different and better than the 800rb. Don't get me wrong, the 800rb is still a great amp.

Keep an eye on the thread named "GK". A poster named Trip, who works at GK, will probably be answering this same question in that thread.

Also, try doing a search of this forum for 1001rb and 800rb, you'll find my posts from a few months ago which brought up the question... why does the 1001rb sound softer than the 800rb when the volume and tone controls are set the same, if the 1001rb has more power than the 800rb? very interesting.

3. Thanks a lot gfab, I will keep an eye out, for all of them. But the thing that puzzles me a bit is what function the "Presence" of the 700 has got since i didnt notice any difference at all, no matter how it was set. It sure doesnt make the regular "presence at very high frequencies above the regular treble control" that I thought it would?!

Now I have become interested inthe 1001 as well since it seems to be the same as 700 but more power..

´Thanks, keep em coming all!

4. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I run the presence control between 10 and 12 o'clock. It seems to function as a boost for ultra highs, about 10 khz, whereas the treble control is for 7 khz.

you're right. The 1001rb s pretty much the same amp as the 700rb, but has more power - for only a few dollars more. It's still very light weight.

5. Howdy.
    I've got the 400RB and I'm thinking about an upgrade. My 400RB is from '86, so it's the model that looks very similar to the 800RB. All the controls are the same; it's just smaller, less powerful, and sans the bi-amping capabilities.
    I really like the sound I have now and I'm not really looking to change it--I just need more power. The 800RB has more power, but these other models boast even more, therefore attracting my attention. My question is: is there a very noticable discrepancy between the newer and older style GK's? I've read the differences listed on this forum, but are they very noticable, not too noticable, etc.?
    Basically, I want to know if you think someone who swears by the older models will be happy with these amps. If I can get roughly an identicle sound.
    Thanks for your insight on this subject--I know it's a vague, hard to answer question.

-K

6. Ahoy!

Although I started this thread, I strongly recommend you to go looking (and posting ) in the thread named GK? I did and instantly got lots of answers. Hope you do too!

Good luck!

7. Have you considered using your 400RB as a preamp, and feeding a good power amp (Crown, QSC, Crest, etc.) with it?

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    The Sound of the Police,

When I A/Bed my 800rb and 1001rb, I heard a noticable difference in tone as mentioned in an earlier post. I wouldn't say that it was a tremendous difference, but definitely a distinctly noticable difference in tone. Fuller low end, more high end, the highs had a refined character, a slightly warmer overall tonal response, and a some what Hi-Fi type of tone. Keep in mind that speakers and basses may make a difference in what you hear from these heads; I use one ( sometimes two) Eden 2-10XLT and the basses in my avatar - MTD 535, F Bass BN5, and a Jazz. Naturally, I used the same EQ and volume settings on the amps and the basses in performing the A/B test.

Although I've never tried to do this, I've heard from GK that you can play with the 1001rb's eq so that it sounds like an 800rb. They'll give you the settings. However, on the other hand, you can't get an 800rb to sound like a 1001rb.

Hope this helps clarify things on this interesting topic.

9. Yes... it is an interesting topic. Thanks for your insight, everyone. I was kind of giong through a "fearing change" period, but I guess I should try out these new ones. It sounds more like the sound I'm going for--warmer yet high-fi.
    The power amp is a good idea, too. I'll look into it.

-K

10. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hello all. This is Trip from Gk. I did answer this question on another thread. I hope you will find it informative.