Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Gk 800rb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Marty Forrer, Apr 8, 2001.

1. I have a SWR SM400S that is driving me nuts, trying to get a decent midrange sound. So, I'm going to try out an 800RB. Fewer knobs, especially in the mid area, and I'm told they have a sweet midrange. Any comments? BTW, I'm running into a Goliath II 4x10 and a 1x15, and I'm not a huge fan of the "scooped" sound.

2. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been using an 800RB for about the last year and a half, only recently switched to an Eden Wt400.

The GK is strong and really works well if you bi-amp. I got best results with a 410 on the bottom and a 210 biamped on the top, both 8ohm. Its sonic signature is rather uncolored and clean, almost on the dry side. IMO, the "scooped mid" sound is really what it excels at! In fact, I always got the best sound by running everything flat and pushing in the mid button. As far as tone, I got sort of tired of its sound and wanted something with a bit more "bloom" and tubish colorations, ergo the Eden. But the 800RB is a reliable, good-sounding amp that you can stake your bass playing on night after night.

3. I like the RB800 as well, but assuming your cabs are both 8 ohms, you will only be sending 100 watts to your 4x10 in biamp mode.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Actually, the "hi" amp is 100w into 8 ohms (which is what the 210 gets) but the "low" amp is 300 into 4 ohms or about 175-200w into the 410 8 ohm cab.

5. Is the 800RB much chop over the 400RB? From my experience GK bass heads just don't do it for me...

On Saturday night I got to play through the provided Stack-Of-S*** GK400RB - "great amp, sweet tone, etc" the stage manager said. Bollocks, all I could hear was treble and distortion (well you gotta turn it up so freakin' much to hear yourself!). My distortion pedal made me sound like a guitar. Yuk!

Do all GK amps have that clanky bright bite? Even with the treble set to 1 and the bright switch off, that's all I heard :(

6. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Nil, I've noticed that too. I've only heard the 1001RB but I see what you mean. I also found if to get really distorted when you turn it way up. It was sick loud though!