1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK 800RB

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Band Dad, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    My son's Ampeg SVT 3 Pro farted out at a gig (a tube) and he had to resort to his backup, a GK 800RB. What a pleasure that thing is– reliable, light and with a good sound for a power-pop band.

Any others out there with an opinion of GK's 800RB?

I see one for sale (not mine, don't know the seller) on Craigslist San Francisco for $200. I believe that's a deal.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/408461440.html

2. kauhi17

kauhi17

May 21, 2006
    Royal Kunia, HI
    Endorsing Artist:Schroeder Bass Cabinets
    You can't beat the industry standard! many backline companies here in Hawaii swear by them and I am one of them I use the GK 800 RB as my main gigging head and I have had nothing but complements on the sound and power from a lot of soundmen and other musicans to back it up if it crapped out on me I would definitely go out and buy another one! and for 2 bills you cannot go wrong on that price snatch it up now before you regret it!

Peace and Aloha,

3. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    Yeah, a backup for his backup! Seriously, I would if I had the extra cash floating around. Best to let someone else grab it and use it.
    I had a 400rb and wish I had that back. Great for practice, backup, etc.

4. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    My 800RB has become my amp of choice- over my SVT-Cl and SVT-4 Pro. Super light, tough as nails, great tone. That one pictured is an older 80's version, like mine. I've been told that they are actually superior to newer ones as the construction is more solid- newer ones apparently break easier. You can tell by the power switch on the front- newer ones have a vertical switch, older ones horizontal.

If you don't buy it, I just might:)

Seriously, they are great. You won't be disappointed. $200 is a good deal if it is in good working order.

5. Band Dad

Band Dad

Dec 5, 2006
    San Mateo, CA
    No, really, I'm not in the market. I just thought I'd let the local TBers know about it.
    I picked up my son's 800 a little over a year ago ($100) from a guy who said it had begun to shut down after awhile playing. Then it wouldn't play at all. Because I'd just taken a class in electronics for musicians, I thought I'd like the challenge. I got it home, opened it up, fiddle with this and that, tightened what I could, put it back together and it's been great ever since. Maybe a grounding issue.

6. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    200 bones is an incredibly good deal. They tend to go for 3-400.

7. Wally Malone

Wally Malone

Mar 9, 2001
    Boulder Creek, CA
    AFM International Representative Endorsing Artist: Accugroove Cabinets & MJC Ironworks Strings
    I had a noon time gig in San Francisco today and although I used my Read Purity Preamp and Stewart 2.1 I always put the 800rb in the car just in case. I've had it for years and it is still working great. Luckily I didn't need to use it. When I say lucky because if I did have to use it that would have meant that something happened to my main rig.

Wally

8. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    I had a GK 800 RB with Hartke 2 x 10" and 15" cabs back in the 80's....state of the art stuff......our recording studio soundboard fried the direct line out and it was never the same.....very noisy....lots of hiss......never could get it corrected...so i hated the amp.....and got rid of it sometime around 1996......sadly, that is my only experience with this amp..... will never try GK again.....:(

9. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I played an 80's 800RB for the last three years (horizontal switch). Terriffic amp, easy to use, lots of power, lightweight, etc.... Mine looks like it's been through a warzone - all kinds of scratches and bent cooling fins (it's obviously been dropped more than once). It keeps on ticking, mine is built like a tank.

This didn't stop me from paying $300 for it. $200 is a good deal.

10. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I've been looking for an 800RB for some time and inquired with the guy today. After receiving a response and emailing him back, he said he sold it to a guy down the street from him.

Eh... so... onward towards the quest for an 800RB while I try to unload my Trace Elliot AH300.

11. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I've been using the same GK800RB for well over twenty years. Twelve of those years was playing full time with nationally touring country acts. The 800 is in a rack with a fan on it, always handled reasonably....it's never been in for repairs for any reason!!!!