Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK 810 Review and Pic!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Jan 18, 2005.

1. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    [​IMG]

So I recieved this cab last week but wanted to wait till after my shows thursday and friday to put up a review so here it is. For some back ground I play in a hardcore band called that was then (www.thatwasthen.cjb.net to hear mp3's) Our music is pretty fast loud and agressive.

This cab is awesome. It does exactly what i wanted it to do and more. I have had experiance playing w/ the ampeg 810 through my head and I really liked it alot. I was almost ready to go ahead and get the ampeg but I kept coming back to the GK. I had never heard one before but I was impressed that they were cheaper, 20lbs lighter, had a horn, were more loud, and the frequency range went alot higher and lower. Then I remembered how awesome the ampeg freq range was and how it was selected and cut out certain freq. on purpose. So I was alittle worried that this cab would get muddy or hissy. I blocked that out of my head and took a leap of faith in GK and went ahead and ordered the GK cab. Wow this thing had to be shipped by roadway! it was odd to see a semi pull up in front of my house.

Ok, on to the show. Right when we started sound checking I knew all my worries were in vain. This thing has serious balls! It can get the ampeg sound but go above and beyond w/ highs and lows (if you want it to). I used the bi-amp cable but it has alot of highs even with out the horn turned up so i havent messed w/ that yet. I set my amp pretty much flat and the lows highs and mids all were very strong and cutting through. I need more time to fine tune the eq to get the sound perfect, I havent had a chance to practice w/ it yet and mess around w/ it. I guess that pretty much sums it up, I really dig this cab. Feel free to ask any questions.

-Jason

2. Hey awesome man, I've been waiting to see a review of one of these. Which head are you running? Do you get sufficient lows or does it mud up at all? How does the clarity and articualtion come through? Cool rig man.

3. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    Im running the 1001rbII, my bass is a stingray 5 w/ a maple neck. The lows are good, you can definetly feel them but i wouldn't say this would be a good cab for raggae. Its definetly not the same as a ported cab just because of its sealed design but i kept the lows on my amp flat and there was plenty for me. It didn't get muddy at all really. W/ my bass having new strings and and the highs and high mids in the mix this thing sounded really agressive but at the same time everything I was doing was really articulate at the same time.

-Jason

4. AWESOME. I may have to add one of those soon. Great looking cab, and Ive heard that they do sound better than the Ampeg 8x10.

5. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Good review of the cab. I'll have to keep this one in mind when I finally get my 8x10. Looking at Ampeg, Aguilar(Aweseom Bass Player review), and now this one.

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Not hard to do. :ninja:

7. I agree. I just do not like the Ampeg 8x10s at all.

Let the bashing of my opinion begin!!

8. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    I think that's a pretty cool design they put on the speaker grille. That red X is pretty sweet!!

9. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Ahh, damn. You fixed it.

10. does it tilt back?

11. for tansportaion, you know.

12. Yes. As does the GK Neo412.

13. How would this baby compare to a Peavey 810TVX cabinet?