1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

GK 810GLX or Ampeg SVT 810-E?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mgsmith9, May 3, 2010.

1. mgsmith9

mgsmith9

Apr 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Ok, I am looking to upgrade my Peavey TNT 115 combo. I already know what head I am going to get, and know I want an 8x10 cab. What I want to know is if I should jump on the current deal I just found for the GK ($351.99, and btw they don't make them anymore according to several websites), or should I wait and find a decent priced Ampeg SVT-810? I love the GLX series, and have played on them before, haven't had a chance to play on an Ampeg yet, but i trust the Ampeg brand. Would like to hear a few suggestions from you guys, Thanks!

2. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I have the Ampeg 810E cab and they are great. I checked out the GK810 and it looked real nice but some of the reviews aren't the best concerning the speakers. Maybe there is a reason that it was discontinued. If you can't swing a
    new 810E then try to find a used one. . I also have the 410HLF(4 Ohms) which is a good way to start off with Ampegs.

3. As much as I like GK's heads, I've never really been impressed with their speaker cabs. Between that and the fact that I've already pretty much established myself as a bit of an Ampeg fanboy, it's pretty much obviously which brand I'm going to recommend.

However, before you settle on the 8x10 you might want to try the 6x10 first. When I went cabinet shopping I was dead set on the 8x10-E. Then I noticed the 6x10 cab that I wound up buying and gave it a try for ***** and giggles. To be honest, I think the 6x10 has a better sound and it comes in a slightly smaller, slightly lighter and slightly less expensive package.

You might end up disagreeing completely but I would still highly recommend giving the 6x10 a try.

4. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I own a GLX 8x10. It is an OK cab as far as I am concerned. I highly recommend the SWR Goliath Sr over both of the cabs you are considering. I have played thru the SVT and it was OK also. My opinion only.

5. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Ampeg 8x10's are my favorite cab. I got both of mine on craigslist for a great price.
    I played the GK briefly in GC a while back, and it sounded kind of tinny to me.

Now that I gave my preference, I should not that I am not a fan of Hi-Fi cabs, nor do I like cabs with tweeters. Of course everyone has their own preferences, but if you like slapping, you may want a cab that has more high end response then the Ampeg offers.

6. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    ampeg 610! or hartke 810 hydrive!

7. alangoldstein

alangoldstein

Jul 23, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    Endorsments: Aguilar, Hartke, DR strings, Analysis Plus "Oval" Cables
    or the madison 810 with 3 tweeters!

8. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Although I'm a GK fan, out of the two choices, I'd say the Ampeg. I've never owned the GK you're looking at but I have A/B'd one vs. and Ampeg 8x10 at a Guitar Center and just wasn't very impressed with that particular GK. Their Neo cabs however, are quite nice IMHO, especially the 4x12. However, if you're looking for a great 8x10 cab, I'd suggest looking into a Carvin. Heck of a cab for the money - they're going for $499 plus shipping right now on Carvin's website. I actually prefer the Carvin to the Ampeg myself. Considerably lighter as well. Specs show it to handle more power (1200 vs the Ampeg's 800) too.