GK + Aguilar + Speakon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Gotta question. My GK 700RB has, what looks like, speakon outputs but it basically has 4 wires in it.. 2 for the 50w horn amp and 2 for the 250 woofer amp. It has seperate volume controls for each. Do the Aguilar speak on support this or are the speakons just for the whole cabinet?? I know GK cabs, you can control the volume and the horn through the amp by using that cable but I didnt know if Aguilar was the same way.
  2. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Unless Aguilar changed something, the answer is no. Do not use the 4 conductor GK Speakon cable for any other speaker cabs other than GK cabs made for this purpose. A standard 2 conductor cable will power up the Aguilar full range like any other amplifier when using the GK700Rb or 1001RB speakon outputs.

You would need to bypass the internal crossover in the Aguilar if you wanted to wire it like the GK cabs are, which is simply: woofer 1+ 1- and tweeter 2+, 2- using a 4 pole speakon input socket. However, the crossover point in the GK is 5khz, which might be a little higher than Aguilar crosses thier horns over at with the internal passive cross-over.
  3. Cool. Thanks. I thought GK's speakons were proprietary to their speakers but I wasnt sure.
  4. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Actually you can use this cable for any cab you want as long as the cab is wired +1, -1. The +2,-2 coming from the amp will just not be used.

But then better safe than sorry. See the next reply.

5. ehh.. Sounds like more trouble than what its worth.. I'll stick with 1/4
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Nothing wrong with that. At the power level that the 700RBII puts out 1/4 is fine..

But as tonenazi said any old standard speakon cable will work fine.

7. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    To add to what lowtonejoe said, the speakon cables used by GK are the industry standard for biamp, and are in no way unique or proprietary to GK! I don't know where this crud starts, but it needs to DIE! A properly wires full range cab will only use the first pair (1+/1-) and not the second, so the four wire cable should be usable on pretty much anything that is not too brain damaged. Also, if you want to biamp any cab with a separate tweeter that has speakons, just take out the crossover and wire the woofers to 1+/1-, and the horn to 2+/2- and the GK head can run it fine. There is absolutely no magic in the GK crossovers - I had to fix a broken jack on a used 410SBX I got recently, and frankly, this has got to be the crudest, sleaziest crossover that I have ever seen. It does the job, but no magic there at all, and when you flip the switch to biamp, it basically takes the crossover out of the circuit in the cab and direct connects the components as I described above.

Speakons are never too much trouble - but 1/4" on high powered stuff sure can be! 1/4" connectors were never designed for power, and I have seen many fail in speaker use, not to mention being pulled loose, etc. Speakons are cheap, durable, and pretty much idiot proof - use them!

- Tim
  8. Whoa, easy their killer!