1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK amp as power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by megadan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Hi all, I did a quick search and didn't see anything specifically covering this...

I just did some trades and ended up with a new (to me) Ashly SC-40 preamp. It is a very nice sounding preamp, with a great EQ.

Now, I love my GK tone (1001RB-I), but you know how it is... you have to experiment.

What I'm wondering is, how 'clean' or uncoloured a sound will I be getting running the Ashly into the GK effects return, and just using it as a power amp? I know the GK amps are known for their growl, and a lot of that comes from the power amp.

Will I still get a semi-uncoloured sound from this setup? Or will it not compare to a tradition pre/power rig with something like a QSC?

It's running the fill 540W into an SVT610HLF if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your thoughts! I'll let you know how it sounds when I get a chance to run it with the band.

2. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Try it.

3. I think I will!

Just can't do anything at the moment as the whole rig is locked up at the jam space, and no rehearsals scheduled until next week at least.

4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Using any mainstream solid state bass head as a power amp, you will get a basic uncolored tone. I have used my bass amps for this purpose when experimenting with preamp designs.