Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GK amp rattling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mosmute, Aug 8, 2002.

1. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    i posted this a while ago, but the problem is back when i thought it had gone away.

i have a Gk 800rb hooked up bi amp to a 4x10 and 1x15.
    the 1x15 seems to make a buzzing/rattling noise whenever i play the lower notes.
    the rattling goes away when i turn the volume of my bass lower. But i don't want to play at that low volume level.
    it sounds like something is vibrating inside the cabinet. it's really annoying and alarming.

My Gk is bi amped and I have the 300W- which goes to the 1x15- set at about 3 o clock, and the 100W at about 9 o clock.

Is my 1x15 just messed up or what.....

2. Does the rb in "Gk 800rb" mean reverb?, Cause the device that produces the reverb makes a rattling sound when the amp is moved. Maybe your 1x15 cab is vibrating so hard that makes that device produce that rattling sound. If this is the case and your amp has reverb, don´t place over the cabs. If it's not caused by the reverb, I have no idea where the rattling comes from. I hope i can help..

3. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    I don't actually know what the Rb stands for....i'm pretty sure it's not reverb.

correct me if i misunderstood you, you're saying that the rattling would be coming from the amp head it self right?

the rattling is clearly comming from the 1x15
    cabinet.

I guess i shouldn't have made the subject "AMP rattling" but rather "cabinet rattling"

4. check the grill, it could be vibrating at the higher volumes, mine does, a little foam rubber under the grill on the screw should take care of it if thats it...

5. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    i don't think it's the grill, i tightened the screw really tight and pressed different parts of the grill as i played and there was no change.
    But it very well could be.....i've been thinking that that is an possibility.

could you explain this foam rubber technique?, i've never heard of it. What is foam rubber? where would i put it on the screw?

6. its a lot like the rubber used to seal the door on your car when you close it. you can find it at hardware stores or automotive supply stores. I used it between the plastic blocks and the grill where the screws go in thru the grill, the problem I was having was not at the screw holes but where the speaker was, the grill was flexing back and forth and rattling against the outer ring of the speaker. the foam rubber lifted the grill away from the speaker just enough to stop flexing into it. hope this helps...

7. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    i don't think that's the problem.....but i will definitly check it out next time my band practices.

Does anyone else have any ideas as to why it's happenin and howto fix it

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what kind of 15 cab do you have?

9. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    it's yorkville...i bought it barely used.
    500W, 8ohms.

10. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    i know i'll probably hear " oh Yorkville there's your problem!" but it's still fairly new.

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    It could be any of a number of things. Try to see if you can isolate the noise. Have someone play your bass and find the note that accentuates the rattle the most. While he keeps playing that note, try to find the rattle.

It could be the grill or the speaker basket rattling against the cabinet, it could be the speaker itself (rubbing voice coil, blown, etc.), it could be a loose cabinet joint, it could be an internal baffle (if your cab has one) rattling against the main outer structure of the cab, or any number of other things that I can't think of right now.

Good luck on finding the culprit

12. mosmute

mosmute

Apr 22, 2002
    canada
    is there a chance it could be my bass?

13. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    maybe, but not very likely. You could check it out by playing your bass through a different amp and cab.

14. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Hello all. Trip from GK here. Ummm.....the rattle may be some bracing in one of your cabs. Take the things apart and feel around in there and see if anything is loose. This happens sometimes...

15. tripwamsley

tripwamsley

Jan 31, 2002
    Sulphur La,
    Trip from Gk here again. Is your bass an active bass? If it is you might me overdriving the preamp of your 800rb. (rb stands for rackmount bass by the way:) ) Try pushing the -10db pad in. This will probably help. If you are using an 18-volt pre in the bass like a Bartolini or Status or something like that you may need to apply EQ sparingly. Hope this helps.