1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

GK amp settings ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LiveToWin, Feb 28, 2018.

1. LiveToWin

LiveToWin

Oct 18, 2017
    I own GK MB115 II and I really have problems how I should set it up. I know that straight answer is adjust everything to noon and start from there but ... I already figured out my eq settings which I like but I don't know how I should set the gain and master/boost knobs

Here is my current settings 20180228_192339. (contour, -10db pad, horn - OFF, Limiter - ON)

The manual says that you should start with volume at 12 o'clock and adjust gain to taste.
    But it does not work in my case ... The sound becomes not clear and defined as I want. The best setup for me is right above.

My bass is 4003 with highgains and due their power maybe signal have to gain and I have to dial it back ? Don't know but I like the current setup, it's growly as I like. Anyone have similar experience ?

2. nolezmaj

nolezmaj

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    I run my MB115 just like yours, but with contour off.
    As for gain and master, manual recommends setting master at 3 o'clock and starting gain from zero up, as loud as you need.
    I go the other way, bump gain to a healthy input signal, and then rise master.
    Boost is a matter of taste. Boost off gives very transparent, almost sterile amplification. I like it around 12 o'clock, to ad some flavour, but not too much.

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. LiveToWin

LiveToWin

Oct 18, 2017
    Mine contour is also Off ;)

Direct quote from GK manual :
    "
    Level and Master Volume settings:
    Set the
    master volume to 12 o'clock. (MB210, MB115,
    MB410 and MB212 only) While playing, turn
    the input gain up to the desired volume level.
    At this point you can experiment with different
    EQ, contour, horn and boost settings.
    *Some passive instruments can have output
    levels similar to active electronics. If the sound
    is distorted the -10db pad should be used"

4. I agree with the previous post. The gain and boost on GK amps is really up to your own taste. What do you like to hear?
    If you want more grit, increase the gain and boost. If you want a cleaner tone back of the gain and add more boost until you get that sort of tubey bloom or push to the tone. Or don't use the boost at all. :) Some people don't. When I had my 400RBIV I ran the gain at about 9 or 10 o'clock and the boost around 11 or noon. With a Rick I found the hi mids were my friend. Running the boost around 1 o'clock gave me some nice grittyness to the tone.
    Hope this helps!
    Brent