GK amp settings?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NicJimBass, May 23, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Just curious... how does everyone set their GK head's EQ and volume controls? I'd like to try some different settings, just to play around. Right now, I run my 1001RB-II like this:

Input- 12:00
    Contour & Presence- off
    Treble, high-mid, low-mid, bass- 12:00 each
    Boost- 12:00
    Tweeter- off, with high cut on
    Woofer- 12:00 with high cut on

Basically flat. But I read in another post that someone dimed the input volume and used boost and woofer to adjust the overall volume. I may need to experiment. I don't think I can dime the input, as my StingRay 5 is pretty hot.
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI

Input- 11:00
    Contour & Presence- off (contour maxed for dub-tone - that's the only change I need to make between songs; it works perfect)
    Treble=10:00, high-mid=5:00 (maxed), low-mid=12:00, bass=12:00
    Boost=5:00 (maxed), Tweeter off
    Woofer: crossover ON (acts as a 5KHz high cut)

For it to actually sound like it does for me, you have to also use a full-range PA cab (JBL JRX125 with 2X15s and a 1"-throat horn - internally crossed-over at 2Khz).

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I play my Stingray through a 700-RBII head and, with all settings flat on both the bass and the amp, it is a bit shrill, IMHO.

I played a gig last week with the G-K and the 'Ray and, even though i slap a lot, i had to dial down the treble considerably. Simply put, with that bass/head combo, a little bit of treble goes a LONG way.

I normally set the treble around 11:00, the bass around 1:00, the low and high mids around 9-10:00 or so. Boost and woofer are set at 1:00.

For reference, i typically play through an Avatar 4x10 cab with the tweeter turned up a couple notches.
  4. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    The GK head takes some getting used to. The eq section is voiced differently than most amps, the tone switches are in series with each other and a little goes a long way! I play with most of my eq settings in the cut position with only the bass knob higher than 12 o'clock. When I use GK's horn management system I barely use the tweet amp because you only need a little. You have to spend time with the head to find the sound you want.
  5. Ok Heres my settings on my RB 400 III

Input: 10' O'clock - Higher if playing at high volume,
    Contour: Just of the bottem, 7/8 O'clock
    Presence: Off
    High: 10 O'Clock- I like the treble rolled off a little
    Hi Mid: 1 O'Clock
    Low Mid: 12 O'Clock
    Bass: 1 or 2 O'Clock
    Boost: 3+ O'Clock normally gives me a nice sound
    Master: 8 to 9 O'Clock for Mid practice, I never really push it past 2 O'Clock

6. Had the head maybe 4 months, and I was looknig at getting an Ampeg, or Ashdown preamp, and a power amp combo- But I only just the other day found a sweet tone... SO Now I am looking for a higher powered GK, Maybe a RB700 II or RB1001 II.

Great tone these amps have and they are a bargain in Australia in comparison to other heads...
  7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    intereresting how others tweak thier heads.
    For funk tune covers, I usually go for a bright Marcus funk tone with my MTD 535 which has a LOT of ultra high end set FLAT on the bass. Therefore: contour:oops:ff (5:00)
    treble: 12:00
    high mid 10:00
    low mid/bass@ 12:00

I EQ at my bass for rock tunes, and sometimes turn the tweeter amp OFF if I'm using my GK Neo112. (Usually I'm using my Bergs so tweeter amp is N/A)

Rock tone:treble rolled back to 10:00, high mid set at 12:00

I usually max my master volumes and add a little boost when more is needed, otherwise the boost is almost always set at 7 or 8:00.

My Lull M5V has vintage type pickups and I can't get enough high end zing for slap therefore use different settings all together. (presence maxed out, treble @11:00)
  8. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    My settings on my 1001RB-II

Input - 11' or 12' o'clock
    Contour - Off
    Presence - 10' o'clock
    Treble - 12' o'clock
    Hi-Mid - Between 12' and 1' o'clock
    Low-Mid - Between 12' and 1' o'clock
    Bass - 3' o'clock
    Boost - 12' o'clock
    Tweeter - Not used in Full Range Mode
    Woofer - 12' o'clock

Head - 1001RB-II
    Cab - Neo 112
    Cab - Neo 115

Bass - Fender Roscoe Beck V

Full Range Mode
  9. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Are those neo cabs GK cabs, if so why not you them in bi-amp mode?
  10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Exactly my question, -its a bonus. Bi-amp baby!
  11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    I have a 700RB-II, which I've gigged with twice, most recently using a MIA Fender P with DiMarzio Model P pickup, an Aphex Punch Factory compressor, and a GK Neo112 cab. I used settings similar to my standard settings on my old 700RB, but I've gotten more into the boost control lately and can use bi-amp with the GK cab. Mine are similar to many above.

Input: depends on bass, but with the ultra-hot DiMarzio, the -14db pad was in (it clips otherwise), and input set around 1:00. With my others, the pad would be out, and input around 12:00.

Contour and Presence off. When first had my old 700RB, I used contour, but quickly tired of the mid-scoop sound. Now it's more old-school growl for me, and the Mk. II does old school much better.

Tone controls at 12:00, except bass boosted to around 1:00. I'll sometimes boost low mids a little, and/or cut treble and high mids a little, i.e., back to around 11:00. Don't know whether this will change when I use it with my Goliath III 4x10.

Boost at 12:00.

Tweeter almost off, using bi-amp feature.

Master at 2:00-3:00 (yeah, it was loud :bassist: ).

Tweeter high cut out.
  12. Larzon

Jan 15, 2005
    Yes I have the GK Neos. (Great cabs!)
    In my case, I can't see any benefits of using Bi-amp mode. I'm satisfied with how it sounds in the Full Range mode, I can adjust the tweeter level back of the cabs.
    Yep, I go for the old-school growl, but I want it Fat and bassy.
    Bonus - I don't have to change the settings for slap tone, I just switch from single-coil to parallel humbucking on my RB5 :p
  13. illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    All EQ set to flat, 12 o' clock position.

This is my standard fingerstyle or slap setting.

However, for a more "old-school-ish" sound, I...
    Treble: 10 o' clock
    High Mid: 10 o' clock
    Low Mid: 1 o' clock
    Bass: 2 o' clock

Everything else flat.

Good stuff.
  14. Nigel

Sep 16, 2004
    700RB-I 210 combo, with ESP j-bass with DiMarzio Model J pickups.

Numbers are o'clocks

Input: 11

5-string button: Out (Off, 4-string mode)
    Contour: From Off to 11 (Off for a straight up rock tone and turned up for a fatter sound)
    Presence: Off

Treble: 9-10
    Hi-mid: 10-11
    Low-mid: 12-1
    Bass: 12

Boost: 2
    Tweeter: 7-9 with Hi-cut engaged
    Master: Used to control overall volume so it varies a lot. Hi-cut engaged.

I find the 210RBH cab to be a little on the bright side so cutting treble and hi-mid evens things out a bit.
  15. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH

1001RB-II with Avatar cabs rewired for GK biamping.

With a 210 and a 212, Input for overall volume, contour lowish (8:30?), Presence about 9:00, Treb 11:00, H-Mid 11:00 L-Mid 1:00, Bass 1:00, Boost 3:00, tweeter 12:00, woofer 1:00 both with high cut on. Oh, the 5 string button is pushed in.

If I'm using the 212 alone I will boost the Treb and H-mid to around noon and lower the Bass to noon. I might juice the presence a bit as well. Changing the cabinet config really changes things. The room acoustics will as well.

Good Luck